1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Changing a Cossack-Bust

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Martin Rohmann, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    A while ago, I have purchased a pretty rare bust of "Parade Models".

It is a Cossack-Bust who was from Mark (Gothicgeek) painted beautifully and shown here at this forum.

http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30632&highlight=Parade

I've decided to change the face of this cossack very strong and I will now show You the first steps in this direction:

The original head:

[IMG]

Left eye, forehead, nose, temples modified and grinding away the hair:

[IMG]

[IMG]

The first eye remodeled:

[IMG]

The second eye changed - it is now tightly shut:

[IMG]

Then his mouth changed a lot:

[IMG]

All these are only first steps - I will report next week, what happens then.

Greetings
    napoleonpeart and gordy like this.
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Hello Martin, I've been following this with interest on HZ, thanks for doing an English version :)

Roger.
  3. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    Thanks Roger!

As You know, on HZ I write dayly and very detailed in Form of a "Modellers-Diary".

Here it will be pretty much shorter and only one time a week, for my english is not so good.:(

Regards
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Better than my German Martin "Ein bier bitte" :D
  5. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for posting here Martin, I cannot get HZ to work for me :(

Following with interest

Mark

:)
  6. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Servus, Martin! Toll, dass Du uns auch da in dem PF Forum dieses schoene Projekt zeigst.

Was das englische betrifft, wenn ich behilflich sein kann, brauchst bloss was sagen.

Prost!
    Brad
  7. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Martin - I'm looking forward to seeing more WIP posts! Should be cool! I'm often intrigued by and always interested your work!

All the best,
    Dan
  8. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello
    maybe an silly question what will the end result looking like?will it be an fantasy figure or the jocker?
    cheers
  9. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Pinsel!

My desired result is a relaxed and cheerful smirking face.

I think this will take some more weeks until until it is done, for this is the first time I sculpt a bust. ...

Regards
  10. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello
    ah well i see.faces are quite hard.it will be interestig to watch.the in progress pics show the way.faces are hard to alter.loking forward for more
    grüsse
  11. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    You are absolutely right!

Faces are damn hard - but his hands are even more difficult, I think.

Have a nice weekend!
  12. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    Dear Planeteers,

I am very positively impressed about your kindly reactions and will my "construction diary” daily publish in English here up from today.

You will always see what I've done on the respective day ...

So you can see “live”, whether I will successfully complete the project or to fail.

Have fun, but please excuse that not all words will be correct!

Here we start:

9. Day, 25. October 2010

Today I have only the beginnings of laughter lines around the mouth made - as fixed points for the forthcoming work.

Still looks very imperfect - more like a caricature. Just another little step, nothing more ...:

[IMG]
  13. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    10. Day, 26. October 2010

This is the today-result of the left cheek.

I've done in two steps.

First of all this ...:

[IMG]

... then the modeling stuff two hours had time to cure and the cause can be something worked out ...:

[IMG]

The macro displays - in four-to five-times magnification - every little cruel lack of cleanliness.

In reality the head is much smaller.

[IMG]

And when I use the original size of the head now see in front of me, I do think that I'm on the right track….
  14. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    11. Day, 27. October 2010

The heavier part of the cheek is now!

By the grinning mouth on the one hand and the closed eye there are very special wrinkles.

To which I have myself attempted today.

Yesterday I did the easier cheek “behind the nose”, and now, as I’m right handed, it’s better for me, the more complicated part to make comments on this page “in front of the nose”…

Here are the results after three hours of work, with constantly breaks.

[IMG]

The lower image is made under very hard light to show all the wrinkles I’ve made….:

[IMG]
  15. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    12. Day, 28 October 2010

Today I made the eye-closed again ...

[IMG]

... and added at the left ear is partially missing ear-shell. In the original Head this detail was not sculpted so good

I also found the shape is not very convincing:

[IMG]

Now it looks like this ...:

[IMG]

Oh yes - as you can see, I have also done more quickly the ear lobe, for it was smaller than that on the opposite side

Now, curing break until next week – and then our hero will get hairs in the face and on his head.
  16. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    13. to 17.Day, 29. October to 02. November 2010

I've not posted here for a couple of days - and this was a reason:

The mouth and the eyes of my cossack-head also were in another forum the subject of constructive criticism.

In this german forum (www.bemalforum.de), where I imagine the project as well, there was last week, also have a whole bag full of other suggestions.

So I went a few days on retreat and have it fully updated.

The following works have I done:

All the wrinkles around the eyes an at the forhead are now not so deep as before.

Eyes have been lower (bulging eyes) modeled

The squinting eye was reworked

All the wrinkles around the eyes were revised, they are not so deep as before

Cheeks face re-maded and designed all the soft folds

The nose somewhat broadened and down "knubbel term" made. Fits better that way, I think!

This projection gives the face a little cozy - exactly how I wanted to have.

And before anyone says now, this nose is oversubscribed: The nose has a real Cossack paragon (see below)!

Then of course, the mouth has been revised - it is now much narrower

The sides of the mouth had to be adjusted accordingly

Finally, I modeled a mighty Cossack mustache in the fashion of the time (à la Kaiser Wilhelm II.). The raised ends are fine details the way for brake them away later when painting.

The beard and the nose have a real paragon: A Member of the Cossacks bodyguards ("Personal convoy") of the Russian Tsar Nikolai Alexandrovich (Nicholas II).

In the photo you can see this man between the Tsar and his son Aleksei Nikolayevich ...:

[IMG]

The picture was taken in autumn 1916, so its also fits in time.

Last but not least I made today a little dimple on his chin, which will in turn help to make the impression of the face more frendly.

The pits were the Kirk Douglas ...

[IMG]

... or the Pierre Brice-version (Brice is french actor, who became famous as “Winnetou”, an apache-chief in several movies)...

[IMG]

... to choose from.

I have chosen the Kirk Douglas-version, because the Pierre-Brice-dimples reminded me very of a butt ...

Well, it es just to consider the face was completely a second time modeled.

Voila ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

It looks - to me! - now much better than before, not as a caricature with exaggerated way of features.

Moreover, it is now anatomically correct.

Therefore, I will do now nothing more on it - perhaps a little gimmick ...

I have the gently impression that I have now turned the corner and thank you again for the help here!

By the way…: A few mates looked at the original here yesterday evening and found it quite good. And with this opportunity our hero also got his new name:

"Väterchen Wodka".

It is difficult for me exactly to translate this Name. I would say "Daddy Vodka" or "Little Father of Vodka".

Maybe Brad can help me with a better translation...?

In addition, I have begun to sculpt the hair. But more on that later.

--------------------------------

But now a question:

The boy has to get even more eyebrows, which will emphasize the facial expression or increase as much as possible.

I am thinking about at this position ...:

[IMG]

Would this okay for You...?
  17. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello fellow countryman
    it turned out well.one sees some things come together at end.its looking much better than the orginal bust.here the curled hair looked very strange for my taste.
    its now an boozy old fellow.i think you must beaf up the torso as well.because the head looks more heavyweighted than the original which is very lean
    cheers
  18. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    This is a very good SBS Martin, I'm looking forward to the next installment. :)

I need to drink some vodka and check out my eyebrows in the mirror.

Roger.
  19. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    i think some winnetou fans will dig after the waraxe when they read that winnies chin has the look of an butt:D:D
  20. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    18. Day, 03. of November, 2010

First of all: Thanks to You, Roger and Pinsel!

Allright, one more round…:

The last corrections of the eyes …

Open eye: Upper eyelid and untereyelid

Closed eye: Eye socket and upper eyelid.

Moreover, I have fixed to him the planned eyebrows.

They sit where I wanted to have them - and I have shown them though very "bushy", but not caricature-like excessively...

Now this remains in such a way!

I have renounced the planned excrement Latvians after a tip in another forum.

In the Russian army Cossacks did not carry at the time something so!

Also today for it I have finished the hair.

I wanted to show a very desert shock of hair which exists of individually made hair "strands".

Each of these "strands" was rolled out specially, made suitable and obstructed individually. All together these are exactly 174 strands!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Tomorrow then we turn first of all of the "Furaschka" as the caps are called in the Russian army.