1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Chain Gang

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by btavis, Oct 18, 2007.

1. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Stevie Ray Vaughan is actually a Texas blues player and here in Texas he is BIG! He is also one my personal favorites and it is a shame he was killed so young just when his work was getting really interesting. A monster guitar player.

Delta blues players are all acoustic and have names like Blind Reverend Muddy Cripple Creek Lightning Johnson.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands

That's right Bob, but when he had performed as a headlined to the Delta Blues Festival in Missisissipi he said: "the greatest gift they could give me was their respect for me as a musician and for what i'm doing ". (to reinvigorate the power of the blues). I think he got then the respect off the Delta Blues players, and even become a greater player after that.
    In my opinion SRV did much more then Texas Blues. I really like his performance of the Delta Blues. As he always said tune down, play loud.
    He brought back the blues to the people.

For me personally the Delta Blues is a combination of acoustic with slide and a harmonica. But Muddy Waters began as a Delta Blues player (electric) and went to the Chicago blues.
    John Lee Hooker also (electric) is a Delta blues player.

Man, i gotta come over there to visit the statue of SRV and talk all over figures and blues. I think we gonna have a good time.
    But, i think it will stay as a dream.

Marc
  3. btavis Active Member

United-States
    C'mon over anytime.
  4. btavis Active Member

United-States
    After a long hiatus I have some progress on my Chain Gang piece. The first picture is some of the figures (there will be seventeen altogether plus dogs) and the second is the setting in which the figures will arranged.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  5. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Just to update I worked on this piece for eight months until around June of last year and then got sidetracked with music (my other passion) for about six or seven months. I am just getting around to finishing it now. All the figures have been sculpted I just need to finish painting them!!!!
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Bob,
    I really wanted to see picture's.
    Any names about the musicians where you passioned with??? SRV, Jimmy etc etc.

Marc
  7. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Good to see it coming along, Bob!

Im thinking a bit of the opening scene in "Brother where art thou?".

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  8. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Excellent Bob. I really like the 'jowled" guard.

John
  9. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Right? I know that guy from somewhere. Sheriff Bubba Bledsoe!
  10. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    at last some news!
    I love the car
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Great stuff - as always!! Authentic and detailed right down to the ripped seat cover on the truck.

Question - Why does the pleasingly plump guard or sheriff have a corporal chevron on his collar? I haven't researched chain gangs and I'm sure you have, so I'm sure it's right. Just curious.

All the best,
    Dan
  12. dinovision79 Active Member

Hi Bob,

this is way too cool! The figures are excellent with lots of characters and expressions, hurry up painting the rest! :)

Thanks for sharing!
    Denes
  13. btavis Active Member

United-States
    It is not denoting rank per se. All of the guards will have it as part of their uniform shirt and was taken from uniforms of some 1930's Alabama or Mississippi State prison guards I had seen. I think it s probably more decorative than anything.
  14. milminwh Member

Hi Bob,
    You have done so much fabulous work over the years, and I cant tell you how much I enjoy the quirky historical scenes you've created. Your last work, which was probably close to this same time period, depicting the KKK was erie & awsome!
    This work is shaping up to be such a cool snapshop of our past. Its also a nice distraction from the normal military miniatures we all do.
    Next time you come back to your original "home" (here in NY!), pls visit the Museum of the City of NY. I have not been there for many years, but remember the box dioramas of scenes from "old NY", including (for example) some construction workers from the 30's shown 100 stories high building the Empire State Building. Lots of other works that remind me of your own style of capturing moments in time from our glorious past.
    Thanks for posting the progress of this newest (& extremely creative) work, and (man!) do I look forward to seeing the finished product!
    Regards,
    John
  15. btavis Active Member

United-States
    John, the KKK piece was set in the 1920's and this scene is about ten years later in the Depression. It is not an overly dramatic piece and relies on subtleties to tell the story. I hope it comes across as subtlety is very hard to pull of well in such a small scale. Usually you want to go over the top to make a dramatic point.

Frankly, the whole period of 1890 until WWII and into the late forties has a tremendous fascination for me. Every piece I have done for the last eight years has been within this period either in the US or Europe. The wealth of stories to draw from is a bottomless pit of modeling potential and a real challenge for a history buff like myself. Even with my military themes I strive to find the oddball story that exemplifies some aspect of the human condition. Plus I think that there is so much traditional military modeling out there done by so many excellent people I personally am always looking for the topics that are overlooked or forgotten whether military or not.

Thank you for the kind words.

I will check out the museum next time I am in town which will probably be this summer.

Just for your information the next piece after this will be on the Bonus March of the 1930's. I already have done the research this past year while I was working on this one on and off. Fabulous story as it says so much about our heritage and the struggle between those who give their lives to service and a government that is oftentimes less than cognizant of those sacrifices. It certainly set the stage for the successful GI Bill for WWII vets.
  16. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Bob,
    Every time I see one of your I get inspired to actually attempt a dio idea I've been kicking around since high school (20 years)that I got from an African American WWII vet that taught english in my HS, but then I am reminded how badly I sculpt. Your chain gang project is coming along with your usual artistry, will you/it be at SCAHMS this year?
  17. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Bob,
    Just superb so far and looks really interesting.
    Cheers
    John
  18. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Not sure about SCAHMS. I missed last year and I hate to miss two in a row but I think this piece may not be ready. Too bad, it is one of my favorite shows and lot's of good people there.
  19. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    So Bobby, how are all those stripes coming along? Your vision back to normal yet?
  20. btavis Active Member

United-States
    At this point I would rather wear them than paint them.