1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Ch’n-Han Five Cyclones

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Hobbychick, May 15, 2022.

1. Hobbychick PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Finally getting to post my starting on Ch’n-Han and trying to use my pin-vise to drill a hole in the leg to insert part of a paper clip in. I realized I was starting to go thru the ankle, I stopped and put Vallejo putty right away. Is there another way of doing this that I’m not seeing. Welcome your tips, just getting back into the hobby 014899A6-2DF1-450F-A6FF-93CA84B97B15.jpeg 16CD0BA6-F8AA-4A05-92E3-BE442E35954B.jpeg
  2. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi there

You certainly did right sorting it with putty

I suggest you measure and mark how far you can safely drill on the side and also on th actual drill ( paper tape )

Be careful of the angle as well , it's a awkward foot to work on and drill slowly

Look forward to more

Happy benchtime

Nap
  3. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Hi, HC! I'll second Nap's advice about measuring, though for me, it's an eyeball estimate.

A couple of things I do...
    • As Nap mentions, I examine the piece, to get an idea of how far in I can drill before it becomes tricky
    • I use a drill bit of appropriate size for the piece and for the wire stock I want to use to pin the piece together. It's worth it to invest in a set of drill bits. It doesn't have to be a set with dozens of sizes; for our purposes, it's good enough to have a couple, three, maybe four, depending on the scale of our work and the wire or rod we're going to use for pinning. Having said that, I can't remember the sizes I use the most. It's really just 2 or 3.
    • I will use a fine sewing needle or a straight pin to punch a starter hole. That makes it easier to position the drill tip and start drilling
    • And as Nap says, be careful and drill slowly. That's the whole advantage of using a pin vise over a powered drill or rotary tool (eg, Dremel, Proxxon, et. al.). You have much better control drilling by hand. Though, it is still possible to slip.
    • I will also stop at intervals and eyeball how far in I have drilled, by looking at the number of turns on the drill bit, and test-fitting a piece of the pinning stock I plan to use
    You did a good job of recovering, as Nap said, too. And don't worry-it happens to all of us. That's why putty manufacturers make so much money! Plus, it's a lesson learned for the next time. ;)
    Prost!
    Brad
  4. Hobbychick PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Getting caught up with my figure. Filling in some gaps with putty and prepping the other parts for priming. 314D0962-BD81-430B-B7AE-648650B0D0F8.jpeg F2DBF599-492E-4676-863A-66990ECA31D1.jpeg
  5. Steve Ski A Fixture

United-States
    Fine work, prep is looking great.
  6. Hobbychick PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks Steve. Now I’m giving the primer 24 hours to cure before I start to paint
  7. Hobbychick PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Gave the primer time to cure properly and started painting the robe

F7BF48D5-38A2-46DB-852F-B638CBE60EBB.jpeg
    outrunthedogs, theBaron and Nap like this.
  8. Nap A Fixture

England
    Coming along nicely there , neat and tidy painting

Thanks for sharing the updates

Nap
  9. Hobbychick PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks. Just curious, do you use an airbrush or hand brush your figures? I'm using a wet palate ( something I haven’t used before). Since I’m getting back into the hobby, is it not unusual to need a few coats of paint I gather due to the black primer?
    theBaron likes this.
  10. Steve Ski A Fixture

United-States
    Good start. Standing by for more.
    Hobbychick likes this.
  11. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I think a majority of painters brush by hand, and exclusively so. I have seen videos of painters who painted most of a piece using an airbrush, and then followed up on fine details, like a face, painting by hand. I remember one video in which the painter added his base colors and then shading colors, by holding the airbrush at about a 45-degree angle and rotating the piece. Very interesting, but I wouldn't do it, myself.

An airbrush can be useful, though, for laying down large areas of color, but also for shading. I know of a modeler, Cody Kwok, whose website is www.codyscoop.com, who paints anime figures, among other things. He uses an airbrush to do most of his flesh colors, including shading.

I have an airbrush but have not yet used it on a figure. I have some larger anime figures and I will use the airbrush in painting those, eventually. So far, I've used it only on scale models. And I can't get past the effort to use it-run the compressor, mix the paint, apply the paint, clean the brush, maintain the brush.

As for a wet palette, I use one, too. Much of my paint is water-based acrylic these days, and I find that the wet palette makes it very easy to work with the paints. I made my own wet palette first, with a plastic takeout container, a kitchen sponge, and brown packaging paper for the palette itself. I used that, to get used to working with the palette, before I might buy a commercial product. I wound up buying RedGrass Games' smaller wet palette, 15cm x 20cm. I got that for the smaller footprint on the bench. Today, they bill it as the "Painter Lite" version. I like a wet palette for mixing and blending, and because I can use a batch of colors across multiple sessions (ie, over several days/nights).

Prost!
    Brad
    Nap and outrunthedogs like this.
  12. Hobbychick PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks for your insight Brad. I’ll definitely check out Cody’s website. I was a little too anxious and bought the Redgrass Games large wet palette. I should have gotten the smaller one to begin with.
    Nap and theBaron like this.
  13. Nap A Fixture

England

Hi Anne

I don't airbrush but do like many prime in back and yes it takes a while to get the colour , with acrylics it's all about building up the colour

You might like to try a gray primer

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Hobbychick likes this.
  14. Hobbychick PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I wanted to catch up on my figure today as I didn’t get time yesterday. Plus it’s brutally hot here Texas right now.

0E49B6A9-BABA-482D-95F8-3C7E8E2260A3.jpeg
    Nap, Giwe and theBaron like this.
  15. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Anne

Good to see the update , like the highs on the red with the purpleish colour works well

Keep cool

Happy benchtime

Nap
  16. Hobbychick PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks Nap. I’ll post some updated pictures later today.
  17. Hobbychick PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I’ve attached the arm. Letting the putty dry. Did some work on the legs. I’m waiting till I finish the arm before attaching the head

8A042AF5-C5B9-4855-91D6-DCA785161714.jpeg 335324F2-C33C-4A8F-A3E0-1E9302F8A6CC.jpeg
    theBaron and Nap like this.
  18. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi there Anne

Nice pics , possibly push the highs a little more .....but that's a personal thing !

Look forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
  19. Hobbychick PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Skipped going to the movies today to catch up on my model. Still need to do some putty work with the robe in front and back. Holding off on attaching the pieces that go on the shoulders. I had some issues attaching the head. 5DE92162-7821-46B9-936D-9ACCD8B70BA7.jpeg 434831DE-D0B1-4963-AC62-746A88C7E010.jpeg
    theBaron and Nap like this.
  20. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi there

Good updates , interesting to see you building the piece as you paint ....how do you find it ?

The figure is certainly coming along

Look forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime and enjoy the movie when you go

Nap