1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP CGS Military Figures 17th Lancer

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by BarrieHynd, Aug 3, 2014.

1. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Started on this one a wee while ago. Superb sculpt by Moz and casting to match by CGS (Gra30).
    So far been blocking in the main colours with Vallejo before starting with the oils.
    Head is almost done, oils for the flesh. Only changes made is cutting off the right hand just to make fitting the bugle and painting easier.
    WIP07.JPG WIP08.JPG WIP09.JPG
    WIP10.JPG WIP11.JPG
    May well be another of my famous long WIP's ;) only getting to the bench at weekends for a few hours.

Barrie.
  2. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A superb figure, coming along very nicely.

Mike
    Gra30 and BarrieHynd like this.
  3. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Great job so far Barrie. I see now how cutting of his right hand will facilitate easier painting.
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Like what you have done so far.

Marc
  5. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Wow. I now have this figure on my 'want' list. This posting has sold it to me. Well done indeed.
  6. swralph A Fixture

Nice so far.
  7. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Guys, thanks for the comments. Would like to get a bit more done as it really is a good figure.

Barrie
    Gra30 likes this.
  8. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Barrie. Thanks for sharing. Looking good and nice to know their are still oil painters out there. Following with interest and will be having a close look at this figure on Gra stand at the upcoming Euro.
    BarrieHynd and Gra30 like this.
  9. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    this looks very nice so far barrie,will follow with interest (y)

Brian
    BarrieHynd and Gra30 like this.
  10. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Boots, thanks very much for looking. Did you get one for yourself at Euro?
    Brian, thanks also. Just wish I wasn't so slow.

Anyway, been using the oils so far on the tunic and think that I have now gone as far as I dare with the shadows/highlights.
    Hope the pics work as took them on the phone

WP_20141110_003.jpg WP_20141110_004.jpg

Barrie.
    Aveleira likes this.
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Barrie,

Blues look good mate wouldn't push them any further ..then just cut the legs off and hey it's a bust ...!!!! Bargain

Seriously though it's looking good , and a really nice figure as well ...looking forward to seeing more on this from you ..no matter how long it takes ....

It will be worth it

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    BarrieHynd likes this.
  12. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Cheers for that Nap, no legs getting cut off here lol.Too good a pose for that mate.

Barrie
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  13. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Just a small update, been working on the trumpet using scale75 NMM. Didn't like the way it turned out so gave it a couple of thin coats of Vallejo gold 71.066 and then on the upper most parts a couple of really thin coats of old gold 878.
    The cord has still to be completed.
    Let me know what you all think.

WP_20141113_008.jpg

Barrie.
  14. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Barrie.
    Trumpet looks fine to me. Had the conversation with a fellow painter just the other day that if something is metal then why not paint it with metal paints. When painted as subtley as you have done with washes and it is not glaring then it works for me.
    The current trend for NMM I believe comes from the study of old masters where NMM were used in two dimensional form but in 3D figure form we should try to emulate the real thing as it is.

Of course the NMM works well with flats.

I personally keep the NMM for gold & silver braids where I believe this method works best.
    This of course is only my opinion.

Peter.
  15. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks good to me barrie nice job on the metallic if it works use it. Pete I like to use NMM on cold lace it works well on that it was a good chat we had at the club about this.
    Cheers
    ian
    BarrieHynd likes this.
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    Barrie,

Really like the trumpet very effective , are you putting any shadows when it's in position ?...looking forward to seeing those cords being done ...patience now !

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    BarrieHynd likes this.
  17. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Peter and Ian, thanks very much. Appreciate your feedback. As for the NMM, think it is definitely more suitable for the fantasy pieces or like you say Ian, braiding. But I am sure there are people out there that can use it for most things.

Nap, thanks again, glad you like it. Shadows once in place on the figure, so will be more or less one of the last jobs to do.

Barrie.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  18. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Very good work Barrie.
    This is shaping up to be a really nice piece.
    The trumpet looks very good and I think that as long as it looks good for you don't get hung up on NMM.
    All the very best,
    Keith
    BarrieHynd likes this.
  19. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Your work is paying off Barrie. This guy is gonna look sharp when he's all done up, I can see it now :)!

Joe
    BarrieHynd likes this.
  20. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Keith, cheers mate, like you say, if it looks good, stick with it. I just don't have the knack with the NMM.
    Cheers,
    Barrie
    Wings5797 likes this.