1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Ceratosaurus

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by gorgosaurus, Jul 20, 2007.

1. gorgosaurus Active Member

Denmark
    This is my 1/18th Ceratosaurus, sculpted by Shane Foulkes.
    [IMG]

Closer.
    [IMG]

And closer yet
    [IMG]

Spike.
  2. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Beauty! One of my favorite sculps from Shane!

Jay H.
    OKC
  3. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Spike

That is a real nice model and great paint job, where can I buy one of these kits from, I have just got to have one

Tommi
  4. gorgosaurus Active Member

Denmark
    Tommi, take a look at

www.cretaceouscreationsofamerica.com

Shane has some great models.
    Be warned, though... Buy one and you´ll end up wanting want more.

I made mine do something else than run after or kick at its prey...

It´s scratching an itch at a tree by the shore of a receded lake.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Go for it, Tommi.

Spike.
  5. Luftbct New Member

United-States
    Nice!

Looks great! Nice dino. One minor crittique. I don't think deciduous trees existed yet in the Cretaceous period. I think tall, fern style trees were the norm. However, I'm recalling from the top of my head as opposed to looking in a reference book, so I digress....

Nice painting!

Tuck
  6. gorgosaurus Active Member

Denmark
    Excellent point, Tuck!

I think this way about details aswell.

So, I checked before adding the tree.

Ceratosaurus remains have been found in North America, Tanzania and Portugal. They pre-date the Cretaceous Period, most finds coming from the Morrison Formation, dated to the Jurassic Period, between 155 and 145 million years ago.

Deciduous trees and shrubs feature more dominantly in vegetation from the Cretaceous period onwards, but are known from earlier.

For example, in 2004 a spectacular Antartic find was reported by Miller, Cully and Kneprath.
    They found 3 examples of fossilised stands of deciduous Glossopterid trees, including many trunks preserved as they stood on the forest floor surrounded by masses of fallen leaves. Though resembling Christmas trees in their overall conical shape, these trees had broad, spear-head shaped leaves. These fossils were from Permian Period deposits, long before the Jurassic.

The bare raised ridge was originally "planted" with brass etched ferns and cycads made from milliput and palm leaves. These were the dominant vegetation of the time.
    They looked too artificial, so I scrapped them and chose to model a lake edge scoured and eroded of most plant life - like one I saw at the Lake District a couple of years ago.
    So the only greenery clinging on now is around the base of the tree. The flotsam of rotting vegetation at the muddy edge of the receded lake-water indicates abundant plant life nearby.
    [IMG]

Spike.
  7. dbang1988 Member

Little comment, whre are the foot prints behind the dinosaur?
  8. gorgosaurus Active Member

Denmark
    That´s a valid observation.

By the time I´d thought of it the plaster and glue mix was dry.
    I reasoned that the dried mud would be hard enough to not take an impression.
    But they should be there behind a beast of this size.

First I´ll just add a darker stain.

If that doesn´t look right I will have to carve them in.

I did remember to emphasise the slight foot impression on the base behind my Gorgosaurus.

Spike.
  9. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Hi Spike
    Something different again. I still love it.
    Pete
  10. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    I couldn't tell he was "scratching" on the tree in the first few pics. I just thought he was mounted really close to the tree.......very creative touch!

Jay H.
    OKC
  11. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    Hi Spike Compliments
    I have seen all yours dinosaur ..... are all beautiful ....... but this is what it appeals more to me :)
    MAB ;)
  12. gorgosaurus Active Member

Denmark
    Thank you all.

Spike.