1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Open Book "Celtic Warrior" - Hallstatt Period 6th Century bc - Young Miniature Review

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Guy, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    YH1828
    Celtic Warrior Hallstatt 6th Century bc
    1/10th scale resin - 8 parts
    Sculpted & Painted by Young B. Song

Celt 01.jpg

This month's release from Young Miniatures depicts a Celtic Warrior from the Hallstatt period in the 6th century bc. Cast in 8 resin parts in a yellow resin and packaged between layers of foam to protect the fragile parts.

[ continued in next posting ]

2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Celt 02.JPG

Celt 03.JPG

Above you see the open box with the top layer of foam removed. All small parts are located inside the zip-lok bag to ensure against loss while in transit. The bottom layer of foam sandwiches all the parts between the top layer ensuring against broken parts during shipping. A clear plastic sleeve slides down around the box keeping it closed until you are ready to start.

The Bottom photograph above shows all the parts removed for inspection.

Celt 04.JPG Celt 05.JPG

Celt 06.JPG Celt 07.JPG

Celt 08.JPG Celt 09.JPG

Above you see various views of the separate cast head.

Celt 10.JPG Celt 11.JPG

Celt 12.JPG Celt 13.JPG

Celt 14.JPG Celt 15.JPG

Above you see the main part of the bust showing each side and the detail Young has sculpted into the torso.

Pepa and DaveCox like this.
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Celt 16.JPG Celt 17.JPG

Celt 18.JPG Celt 19.JPG

Above are the four sides of the Helmet with a slot and locator hole for attachment of the right and left feathered wings to attach.

Celt 20.JPG Celt 21.JPG

Above you see the front and back of each feathered wing.

Celt 22.JPG Celt 23.JPG

Above you see the front and back of the helmet plume and the small knife that attaches to a locator hole at the left side of the waist.

Celt 24.JPG

Above is the separate cast bust plinth supplied with the bust kit.

DaveCox likes this.
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Dry-Fitting

I decided to do the dry-fitting in a separate section of the review. I used a flex-shaft dremel with the smallest sanding drum to remove the casting blocks on the head, helmet and a jeweler's saw to remove the casting block on each feathered wing.

Celt 25.JPG

Celt 26.JPG Celt 27.JPG

The head fits snuggly down into the neck cavity.

Celt 28.JPG Celt 29.JPG

Celt 30.JPG Celt 31.JPG

After removing the casting blocks from the top of the head and the underneath of the helmet both parts fit together down onto the neck cavity. Excellent fit.

Celt 33.JPG

Celt 34.JPG Celt 35.JPG

Celt 36.JPG Celt 37.JPG

Above you see the feathered wings added to each side of the helmet. I would suggest fastening the plume to the helmet prior to attaching each feathered wing.

DaveCox and igorkordyukov like this.
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States

Additional Box Art Photography

Painted
    by

Young B. Song

Celt 44.jpg

Celt 38.jpg Celt 39.jpg

Celt 40.jpg Celt 41.jpg

Celt 42.jpg Celt 43.jpg

Conclusion:
    An excellent kit produced by Young Miniatures. All dry-fitting done was excellent with no filling needed. Highly recommended.

Young Miniatures web-site
    click here

R510
    stu, DaveCox, gordy and 3 others like this.
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Guy,
    I like it......high on the list for Euro.

Marc
  7. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good review Guy. A valuable pre purchase insight. Thanks for taking the time and effort.
    Another nice piece from Young and will no doubt be out and about on the tables at Euro.
    Cheers,Ron.
  8. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    That is simply an outstanding piece. I've not been moved to buy a bust as much as this one recently. Thanks for the great close-up look Guy! I know you're brushes were quivering in their holder when you unwrapped this one!

Jay H.
    gordy and Meehan34 like this.
  9. Mark S Guest

Thanks for the review, Guy.
    It's a great bust and the detail looks sharp and crisp.
    A good example of the casting we've come to expect from Young Miniatures.
    I'll be getting this one as soon as I can.
    Thanks again for another meticulous open box.
  10. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks Guy (y)

Young is the master of the beard and fur !
  11. alexwencho Active Member

United-States
    Love the figure sculpt overall and can see using the face and facial hair sculpt for use in a large scale figure conversion.

alex wence.
  12. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Just like to thank you Guy and the other lads who review the new stuff coming out.It's very much appreciated as it's as good as having a look in the box at a show.Unsung heroes but you'll all be mentioned in dispatches!!!!
    Brian