1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Celtic Standard Bearer WIP - Standard

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Guy, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Three years ago I started this 90mm Miniature Alliance Celt and got as far as painting the cape plaid and then hit a mental roadblock. I just could not put my finger on it but something was missing and not the way I wanted it. You can see here in the original thread where I left off. The figure went into the case for the last year and after Pegaso released their 75mm Celt Standard Bearer I figured out what I wanted to do. Get rid of the plaid.......paint the cape a solid color.........and use the standard from the Pegaso kit. It is rare that I bash another kit for parts.....but this was an exception and I stole the standard from the kit. I cut the hand and staff off and replaced the staff with a section of copper tubing (lighter than rod) and then drilled out the standard so the tubing would fit snuggly. I saw the staff end and also decided to use this too. I drilled out the end and will attach it to the bottom of the staff.

Here is where I am at now:

Celt 01.JPG

celt 05.JPG

Celt 06.JPG

Above is the standard which has been painted with Humbrol Gun Metal enamel and then dry-brushed with Floquil Old Silver. I will attach the bottom of the standard and paint the same. The staff portion will be a dark wood color.

Celt 07.JPG

Celt 09.JPG

Celt 10.JPG

Celt 11.JPG

Celt 12.JPG

Celt 13.JPG

Celt 14.JPG

Below are a couple of close-ups of the upper portion of the Celt and the standard.

Celt 15.JPG

Celt 16.JPG

All comments welcomed.
  2. Normo Active Member

United-Kingdom
    HI Guy
    Like it so far, just a minor point the angle you have the standard at would the tassles be at a more vertical angle?
    Should be easy to bend 'em round.
    I think the combination you have used with the figure and the standard has worked well a unique figure
    Well done mate
    Cheers
    John
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks John. I haven't decided yet how far to bend the chain tassels out yet as the figure is in motion slightly they could hang at various angles. More than likely I will bring them out to a vertical drop. Working on the shield and sword & Scabbard now.
  4. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking nice guy. I liked the tartan cape but what I like best about the soild color is how it really pops. Looking very nice.

Joe
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Guy,
    Three years??? You should him finished. What a great figure. And the painting you are doing is bringing the best out of him.

Marc
  6. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Joe & Marc. I Appreciate the feedback.
  7. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice job Guy, and only three years:D, I also have one half finished from three years ago so dont feel to bad, I do like this figure very much
    Cheers
    Tommi
  8. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Tommi. This figure already has "case mileage" and I figured it was time to finish him up since I figured out why the mental block.
  9. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Looks very good my friend,I like the red and the fleshtones!!!
    christos
  10. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Guy,
    Looks good so far and I like the additions.
    Cheers
    John
  11. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guy, you were right about the cape, much improved , it's a real standaout. Love the addition of the standard as well, really nice touch!

Jay H.
    OKC
  12. mario Active Member

Brazil
    Hello Guy

Great choice and great work my friend.
    I liked the hair color (old man),and the flesh tone .
    The standart is fantastic

Warm regards

Mario
  13. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Christos ~ John ~ Jay ~ thanks guys for the comments. Really appreciated.

Mario my friend, many thanks for the kind words. The white hair was done on another celt by someone else and I really liked it. So I chose white, as in an older warrior, for this one.
  14. Kevin D. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Interesting! LOL... Didn't we just talk about this??

I like the plaid but the solid color is stark, striking and fits the figure to a "T" !

Very Nice!!!

Kevin D.
  15. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Kevin. Yea.....we did just talk about this one on the phone the other day. I went ahead with the standard and attached to the arm.
  16. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    Guy,
    you hit the mark adding the standard to this fine figure. It looks excellent , I like a lot the greys of the cape and the red pants.
    cheers Stefano
  17. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Stefano for the kind words.

I have finished the standard by adding the spear tip to the bottom and painting the shaft in an oak color. The standard was then painted in Humbrol gun metal, given a black enamel wash and then dry-brushed back with Floquil Old Silver.

Celt 19.JPG

Celt 20.JPG

Celt 22.JPG

Celt 23.jpg

I decided to do the fringe of the cape in a cream color to break up the blue / gray color as below>

Celt 24.jpg

Celt 25.jpg

All comments critisms welcomes.
  18. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Guy,
    This came out very nice and great colour choices. I like the old warrior idea.
    Cheers
    John
  19. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    Guy,
    It would be a good idea to change the tones of the cape fringe but it' s equally good as now for my liking. I'm looking forward to see the figure finished with the shield and the sword.
    C'mon and good painting...
    Cheers Stefano
  20. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Looking good so far Guy nice colour combination.The standard works well very dramatic.

David