Celtic Standard Bearer WIP - Standard

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Guy, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Three years ago I started this 90mm Miniature Alliance Celt and got as far as painting the cape plaid and then hit a mental roadblock. I just could not put my finger on it but something was missing and not the way I wanted it. You can see here in the original thread where I left off. The figure went into the case for the last year and after Pegaso released their 75mm Celt Standard Bearer I figured out what I wanted to do. Get rid of the plaid.......paint the cape a solid color.........and use the standard from the Pegaso kit. It is rare that I bash another kit for parts.....but this was an exception and I stole the standard from the kit. I cut the hand and staff off and replaced the staff with a section of copper tubing (lighter than rod) and then drilled out the standard so the tubing would fit snuggly. I saw the staff end and also decided to use this too. I drilled out the end and will attach it to the bottom of the staff.

Here is where I am at now:

Celt 01.JPG

celt 05.JPG

Celt 06.JPG

Above is the standard which has been painted with Humbrol Gun Metal enamel and then dry-brushed with Floquil Old Silver. I will attach the bottom of the standard and paint the same. The staff portion will be a dark wood color.

Celt 07.JPG

Celt 09.JPG

Celt 10.JPG

Celt 11.JPG

Celt 12.JPG

Celt 13.JPG

Celt 14.JPG

Below are a couple of close-ups of the upper portion of the Celt and the standard.

Celt 15.JPG

Celt 16.JPG

All comments welcomed.
  2. Normo Active Member

United-Kingdom
    HI Guy
    Like it so far, just a minor point the angle you have the standard at would the tassles be at a more vertical angle?
    Should be easy to bend 'em round.
    I think the combination you have used with the figure and the standard has worked well a unique figure
    Well done mate
    Cheers
    John
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks John. I haven't decided yet how far to bend the chain tassels out yet as the figure is in motion slightly they could hang at various angles. More than likely I will bring them out to a vertical drop. Working on the shield and sword & Scabbard now.
  4. Joe Hudson Active Member

United-States
    Looking nice guy. I liked the tartan cape but what I like best about the soild color is how it really pops. Looking very nice.

Joe
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Guy,
    Three years??? You should him finished. What a great figure. And the painting you are doing is bringing the best out of him.

Marc
  6. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Joe & Marc. I Appreciate the feedback.
  7. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice job Guy, and only three years:D, I also have one half finished from three years ago so dont feel to bad, I do like this figure very much
    Cheers
    Tommi
  8. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Tommi. This figure already has "case mileage" and I figured it was time to finish him up since I figured out why the mental block.
  9. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Looks very good my friend,I like the red and the fleshtones!!!
    christos
  10. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Guy,
    Looks good so far and I like the additions.
    Cheers
    John
  11. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guy, you were right about the cape, much improved , it's a real standaout. Love the addition of the standard as well, really nice touch!

Jay H.
    OKC
  12. mario Active Member

Brazil
    Hello Guy

Great choice and great work my friend.
    I liked the hair color (old man),and the flesh tone .
    The standart is fantastic

Warm regards

Mario
  13. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Christos ~ John ~ Jay ~ thanks guys for the comments. Really appreciated.

Mario my friend, many thanks for the kind words. The white hair was done on another celt by someone else and I really liked it. So I chose white, as in an older warrior, for this one.
  14. Kevin D. Active Member

United-States
    Interesting! LOL... Didn't we just talk about this??

I like the plaid but the solid color is stark, striking and fits the figure to a "T" !

Very Nice!!!

Kevin D.
  15. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Kevin. Yea.....we did just talk about this one on the phone the other day. I went ahead with the standard and attached to the arm.
  16. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    Guy,
    you hit the mark adding the standard to this fine figure. It looks excellent , I like a lot the greys of the cape and the red pants.
    cheers Stefano
  17. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Stefano for the kind words.

I have finished the standard by adding the spear tip to the bottom and painting the shaft in an oak color. The standard was then painted in Humbrol gun metal, given a black enamel wash and then dry-brushed back with Floquil Old Silver.

Celt 19.JPG

Celt 20.JPG

Celt 22.JPG

Celt 23.jpg

I decided to do the fringe of the cape in a cream color to break up the blue / gray color as below>

Celt 24.jpg

Celt 25.jpg

All comments critisms welcomes.
  18. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Guy,
    This came out very nice and great colour choices. I like the old warrior idea.
    Cheers
    John
  19. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    Guy,
    It would be a good idea to change the tones of the cape fringe but it' s equally good as now for my liking. I'm looking forward to see the figure finished with the shield and the sword.
    C'mon and good painting...
    Cheers Stefano
  20. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Looking good so far Guy nice colour combination.The standard works well very dramatic.

David