1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Celtic Chieftain

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Glen, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Glen Active Member

United-States
    Howdy all,

This is Seil's 54mm Celtic Chieftain. It's a metal figure painted with Andrea/Vallejo acrylics. The base is one of the most elaborate ones I've done in years (which tells you something about my bases...).

Cheers,

Glen

Attached Files:

2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent painting Glen. I like the base.
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Glen,
    I think you did a good job. But i really would like to see more shading and highlighting. The cloak are two colors, grey and darkgrey. Even the red and white are two colors. I suggest that you bring back your basecolor and paint it again. But just thin enough, so that you have to go five maybe ten time's before you see the diffence.
    Then you get a smooth transition between the shading and highlight with all those lovely tones between.

marc
  4. Glen Active Member

United-States
    Hi Guy! The base is a double craft wheel (Hobby Lobby/Michael's, etc), Celluclay, kitty litter (fresh), and ground litter from woods across the street. See you in Tulsa!

Hi Marc. Thanks for the comments. I've actually got 3-4 layers of shadow/highlight in the cloak, tunic, and pants. Looking at the pics, they do seem invisible, but they look better in person. I might have to bump up the layering and contrast a bit (although I'm not a fan of the high contrast school of painting). I'm thinking more highlights across the shoulders and shadows under the sleeves and between the legs.

Cheers,

Glen
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Glenn,
    I'm all with you abouth the high contrast. I also don't like it.
    But there is one ruell.
    Hold the figure about armlength from your eyes. If you can see contrast it is enough. If you see nothing, there is to less contrast.

marc
  6. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    I like it
    very nice base
  7. paulyrichard New Member

United-Kingdom
    Glen, you've chosen some real nice colours for this one, they all work well together. Great paintin'.
  8. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Well done on this figure! It's a bit hard to judge because the pictures are a bit small. Nice base btw.
  9. Glen Active Member

United-States
    Thanks everyone! Bigger pics next time.

Glen