1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

celtic Briton AD61

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Lovejoy, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Lovejoy New Member

England
    As some of you know, I'm starting up a business called Grey Army - I'm planning a range of 90mm figures, all metal.

The plan is to keep the price down to £35 for each 90mm kit. To do this, I'm doing pretty much all the work myself, with the exception of moulding and casting. This means I'll even have to do the box art myself - which is a bit of a problem, because figurepainting is definitely not my strong point!

Still, here goes!

Grey Army's first release will be a Celtic Briton, AD61. 90mm, metal. I've got the first casts and I've started painting.
    Here's the parts:

Attached Files:

2. diosytexas Member

England
    hello michael. may i wish you the very best with your new venture GREY ARMY. also the painting of your first release. looking forward to seeing it. dave.
  3. Lovejoy New Member

England
    Thanks, Dave!

I've pretty much finished work on it - but it'll take me most of the day to sort the pictures I took. I've got the heads ready now, so I'll attach some pics.
    I had all kinds of problems with these. Most of the painting I've done lately has been 10mm wargames figures, so 90mm was a bit of a shock to the system.
    I also had problems with the woad paint - so I cheated the end, and used watercolour. It's good, because you can fix mistakes without ruining the stuff you've already done - but you really have to keep sweaty fingers away from the model or your hard work will run off. I'll be nervous until I can spray some sealer on there.

Attached Files:

4. diamond cutter Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Briton

Hey Micheal, this looks as if it will be a great first release!!!:)
    Good luck with your new venture-I wish you all success!!!
    Cheers
    Pete
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Hi Michael,

Your 1st release looks great indeed. I look forward to seeing the box art complete.
  6. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Best wishes on your new venture, I know you will do well.

Cheers
    Roc
  7. Lovejoy New Member

England
    Thanks for the support, everyone!
    Here's a pic of the shield, scabbard, dagger, and necklace/amulet thingy.

Attached Files:

8. dinovision79 Active Member

Michael,

this one looks great as well! If I may have a suggestion, an assembled figure grey primed would possibily show more details, look forward to see him finished!
    Thanks
    Denes
  9. Black Army Well-Known Member

Hungary
    Hello Michael, as I can see the first cast's quality is very good. Congratulations! Why don't give you the paintjob for a friend? Surely help anybody. By the way your paintjob is also nice.

Best wishes!

Cheers,
    Balázs
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Michael,

I wish you every success with your new venture.

Cheers
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Good work Michael.
    Keep painting.

Marc
  12. Lovejoy New Member

England
    Here's the pictures of the main body, just as I'm starting the woad paint on the torso.
    I'm not totally happy with the trousers or the cloak, but being honest, they're probably the best I can manage. I guess I need a lot more practice...

Still, if you stand five feet back, and squint a bit, it looks okay!:rolleyes:

I'm guessing Pegaso have a slightly better arrangement for getting their boxart done...

Attached Files:

13. Lovejoy New Member

England
    Here's a pic of the finished body paint - hopefully I'll get the bits all assembled soon and see what it looks like together.

Attached Files:

14. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Michael,
    Great start for your first figure and a nice rendition to add to the commercial world. I wish you good luck.
    Cheers
    John
  15. Lovejoy New Member

England
    Thanks again for all the supportive comments, guys, I really appreciate it.

Okay, paint finished, and model put together.
    This is definitely one I'll come back to and re-do when I learn to paint properly... but it'll have to do for now, because I have a Samurai to sculpt!

Attached Files:

16. diamond cutter Active Member

United-Kingdom
    briton

Hi Micheal
    Your figure looks great !!!!
    I know how hard it is to paint, esp those check patterns but you've done a good job of it, !!!! I esp like the tatoos!!
    Look good with a Roman adversary to fight!!
    Pete
  17. Lovejoy New Member

England
    Thanks Pete! I must admit, I'm tempted to try and sculpt a Roman Aux Cavalryman for him to fight...