1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Celt

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bailey, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Just the other day I started this 70mm Celt from Art Girona. I'm trying out a new skin mix on this guy. I'm working with Reaper paints and I'm adding some of their Bronzed Skin colors into my normal mix of Rosy Skin and Fair Skin (along with browns for the darker shadows). I think the result is a nice tanned skin, something I've been trying to get a handle on for some time. I will be doing another mix for the skin of the severed head to create a paler, drained of blood sort of look.

Obviously the work is very very early on this piece. I've just given the body and pants a rough base coat. The highlighting and shading has been limited to the face. I've got a lot planned for this piece (tattoos, weathering - mud and blood splatter), so stay tuned!

Celt02.jpg

Here's a close up of the face for anyone who is interested
    Celt01.jpg
    Mike Stevens, DaddyO, Oda and 32 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Following this with interest esoecially that skin tone

Go get those brushes Bailey

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  3. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, Nap.

My normal skin mix is Reaper's Chestnut Brown + ~10% Rosy Shadow, Rosy Shadow, Fair Skin, Fair Highlight, and either Linen White or Pure White. It's a pretty light looking skin which is fine for northern Europe. I'll often supplement the Chestnut Brown with Mahogany Brown for the darkest shadows.

For this figure, instead of Rosy Shadow for the base, I used a 50/50 mix of Rosy Shadow and Bronzed Shadow. For the shadows, I used 60/40 Chestnut Brown and Basic Dirt along with ~10% of the base color. Some Walnut Brown was added for the deepest shadows. Highlights were a 50/50 mix of Fair Skin and Bronzed Highlight, then some Pure White for the final shine. Using just the Bronzed Skin colors is a bit too extreme for my tastes, but tempering them with the Rosy and Fair Skin colors produced a result I'm happy with. I'll definitely keep it in mind for future projects.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  4. CBDesign Active Member

Germany
    Very nice..
  5. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    A great start Bailey
    Following this with interest
    Keith
  6. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Looks good. Celts' hair was often limewashed (to make it stick up, I suppose), but I've no idea how that would affect the colour. Presumably, it would look whitish but it may be worth doing some research on that.

Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Jeff
  7. maui Active Member

Italy
    Good skin, face very intense and dramatic, wait for the rest! :)
  8. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Great face so far - love all the contrast, really makes him look intense! (y)
    Phil
    Oda likes this.
  9. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb face.
    Looking forward to the next step.

Cheers,
    Andrew
  10. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    By golly that works so well.

Paul.
    Oda likes this.
  11. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi
    Really like the look of this

Not tried using Reaper paints ....Is there a UK distributor?

Frank
    peedee likes this.
  12. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, everyone.

Frank, I'm not sure... though they're reasonably popular miniature paints, so I would think someone over there would carry them. The company is based in TX, USA and I usually just order direct from them. So unfortunately I'm not much help on that front. Reaper paints are pretty similar to Vallejo, though I find them a bit easier to do layering with. Most colors you can find with other brands, but the place where they stand out are their skin tones. Most ranges have a couple, Reaper has 20+ skin tone colors (tanned skin, tanned highlight, tanned shadow, fair skin, fair highlight, etc). They're okay as is, but I think the results can be improved by mixing and matching between the sets (hence the mishmash mix I'm using here between the bronzed, rosy, and fair sets). Still, they are nice colors to start with.

I did a bit more work on the Celt. I'm still focused on the skin, but working out from the face. This time it's the neck and front of his torso.
    Celt04b.jpg Celt05.jpg

From this side view you can see the back is just partially done. Not exactly ideal to break it up this way, but trying to paint and take care of a baby means you've got to pick you battles. Easier to paint in small sections and deal with correcting the overlaps. Plus the sculpt on his back is a bit plain. I might consult an anatomy book and see about adding some minor muscle features though the shading.
    Celt06.jpg

You might have noticed I've been adding some reflections on him. I did a few on his face, but the ones on his body (shoulders for example) may be easier to see. This is something I did recently on a fantasy project and now I'm trying it out here. Sort of a satin effect without using satin finish.
    Mike Stevens, stoffy01, Oda and 4 others like this.
  13. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Happy New Years, everyone! I haven't been able to get much painting in this past month, but I did a little in the last day or so. I'm working on the Celt again. Here's the progression on the face. The first image is from a while ago. The middle image shows the recent work done on the hair along with details like the lips. After that I went in with some glazes, which is shown in the final image on the right. Not a huge change, but glazes are meant to be subtle. Just some red in the cheeks, tip of the nose, and bottom of the ears. I also did a tiny bit of blue along the jaw and chin to hint at some stubble. The color changes don't stand out as much on the darker skin, plus I didn't want to overdo it. but you can see the different as you compare the middle image with the one on the right.
    Celt08.jpg
  14. evl hmr Member

United-Kingdom
    I just love following your WIPs, they always inspire me, but also intimidate. Another great choice of mini :)
    stoffy01 likes this.
  15. Oda A Fixture

Excellent treatment on the skin areas.It should turn out fantastic.

Oda.
  16. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, Oda and evl hmr.

Evl hmr, you might recognize the person who sculpted this piece. It's amazing how many times I see a figure I like only to realize yup, it was sculpted by Latorre. :)
    Oda likes this.
  17. Guy Van Ginneken Active Member

This Celt is coming together nicely sir. I'll follow this one with interest.
    Oda likes this.
  18. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, Guy!

On the last post I was a bit rushed, so I didn't include a look at the rest of the figure. Obviously the bulk of the work was on the face, but I did take care of the left arm too. You'll notice I'm adding more of the spot highlights on the muscles and wrist. I still need to do the right arm, his back, and then touch up some blends which I'm not quite happy with. Not to mention the other effects I'll be layering on top as well (tattoos, glazes on the body, and then dirt/blood for weathering). But my immediate plan is to take a break from doing skin and start on the pants. My references show a variety of patterns for Celts (plaid, checkered, striped), so it will be something more complicated than a single color.
    Celt09b.jpg
    Mike Stevens, Tonton and stoffy01 like this.
  19. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Fantastic skintones, any sbs I can find of your works?
    Regards
    Chris.
  20. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Tonton, napoleonpeart and stoffy01 like this.