Wikipedia - Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians) (excerpts) Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians) (LdSH [RC]) is currently a regular armoured regiment of the Canadian Army. Based in Edmonton, Alberta, the regiment is part of 3rd Canadian Division's 1 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group. Members of the regiment are commonly called Strathconas or Strats as a short form. It was one of the last regiments in the British Empire to be created and raised by a private individual, Donald Alexander Smith, 1st Baron Strathcona and Mount Royal. The Great War and Lord Strathcona's Horse The regiment was placed on active service at the start of the Great War on 6 August 1914 for instructional and camp administration duties. On 14 September 1914 the regiment mobilized Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians), CEF, which embarked for England on 3 October 1914. On 5 May 1915 it disembarked in France, where it fought dismounted in an infantry role with Seeley's Detachment (really the Canadian Cavalry Brigade), 1st Canadian Division. On 27 January 1916, the regiment remounted and resumed its cavalry role as part of the 1st Canadian Cavalry Brigade, with whom it continued to fight in France and Flanders until the end of the war. The overseas regiment disbanded on 6 November 1920. The Great War and the Canadian Cavalry Brigade The Canadian Cavalry Brigade was raised in December 1914, under it first commanding officer Brigadier-General J.E.B. Seely. It was originally composed of two Canadian and one British regiments and an attached artillery battery. The Canadian units were the Royal Canadian Dragoons, Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians) and the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery battery. The British regiment was the 2nd King Edward's Horse (The King's Overseas Dominions Regiment). 2KEH was replaced by The Fort Garry Horse in February 1916. History The brigade's units arrived in England in 1914, then left as a dismounted formation for France in April 1915. The brigade arrived in France during the Battle of Festubert and then served in the trenches during the Battle of Givenchy. The brigade remained serving as infantry until the end of January 1916, when it was re-formed as a cavalry force. It became part of the 2nd Indian Cavalry Division (later 5th Cavalry Division) in the British Cavalry Corps. It was held in reserve during the Battle of the Somme, its first mounted operation being during the German retreat to the Hindenberg Line. In the final days of the war the brigade, finally able to get into open ground, cleared nine French villages, captured around 400 enemy, with several artillery pieces and about 100 machine guns. The Mounted Rifles Pith Helmet sketch is the work of Jonathan Paynter, a member of the Great War Forum and a fine illustrator.