Cavalry - Lancers

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Dan Morton, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    The Belgian Cavalry consisted of four types - Guides, Chasseur aux Cheval, the Garde Civique and the Lancers.

Unfortunately I can find few photos or illustrations of Garde Civique uniforms or equipment or the reservist cavalrymen themselves.

The good news is I have numerous photos and illustrations of the four regiments of Lancers.

The photos, illustrations and text information was provided by Fernand Backaert and the late Roger DeBoeck.

Attached Files:

2. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    More photos...

Attached Files:

3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Photos of parade dress Dolmans...

Attached Files:

4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Tschapkas -- To the best of my knowledge, tschapkas and flat caps were both worn as part of the parade and field dress uniforms. In the field, a black oilcloth cover was put on the tschapka. Some photos and drawings of tschapkas.

Attached Files:

5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    A few photos of a typical lance used by the Belgian lancer cavalry in 1914. The 1888 design Belgian Lance was wooden with metal reinforcements in the middle, a metal bottom cap and, of course, a metal lance point. Some were made of bamboo wood, but not all of them. 2810mm in total length.

Attached Files: