1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Caution!

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Luis R., Feb 11, 2022.

1. Luis R. Active Member

Spain
    About three months ago, I tried to open a Vallejo bottle, but the cap was stuck, so instead of walking some 10 metres to get a pair of pliers from my tool box, I used my teeth, as -I guess- most of us have done some time or another. One week later, I had the worst toothache I have ever felt. Well, to make a long story short, I had one cracked tooth, which had to have pulled off and replaced with an inplant. That stuck paint bottle cap cost me three days of agony, four visits to the dentist so far and some 1.200€ dentist fee.

My advice: never use your teeth to open anything and always have a pair of suitable pliers at hand.
    David Spencer, dmcHobbes, Oda and 2 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Luis

Thats a expensive botlle of paint .....good advice though ...me I use my wife's teeth ...lol

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Joe55, Oda, R Dominick and 3 others like this.
  3. Luis R. Active Member

Spain

That might be even more expensive :D :D
    Nap likes this.
  4. Plastic Max Active Member

England
    Bad luck Luis. You could try keeping a small child or grandchild nearby, who still has their primary teeth... any dental loss would then only cost a small donation for the visit from the tooth fairy, and will be replaced in time by new adult teeth. (y)
  5. socko47 Active Member

United-States
    "Teeth are not tools!" A restored implant in the Philadelphia, PA area costs in a range around $5,000.00 to $8000.00 USD. You got away cheap!
    DaddyO likes this.
  6. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Confusion say....."He who opens expensive bottle of paint with wifes teef gets ass kicked by wife...............:facepalm:
    Landrotten Highlander and Nap like this.
  7. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    We all, stupidely, does that ....
    Nap likes this.
  8. Luis R. Active Member

Spain
    Well, I got an excellent deal as my dentist happens to be my sister and she charged me cost of used materials only. Regular fee must be in the 2500-3500€ range, which is still way cheaper than in your area.
    Nap likes this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England

Not if they are like this ... IMG_1056.JPG ....and she doesn't realise ......LOL

Goodness dentistry isn't cheap in US ....fair play on Luis for getting family rates!

Nap
    David Spencer and Wayneb like this.
  10. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

I hae same problem aound the same time...............but used a pair of Pliars cost, nil Ray
  11. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    LOL........Nice set of paint bottle openers Nap.......But I think that new avatar of yours belongs in an x rated magazine...lol...The imagination can do funny things..........

Wayne:D
    Nap likes this.
  12. theBaron A Fixture

United-States

Speak for yourself ;) I may have slit a finger open with a Nr. 2 blade, and glued the fingers of one hand together with quick-flowing CA glue. But I've never used my teeth to grasp the eyedropper tip of a bottle of paint to open it.

Prost!
    Brad
    dmcHobbes and Nap like this.
  13. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    I vote for Naps avatar....Don't ask me why....................................

Wayne
    Nap likes this.
  14. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    I don't care anybody says, that was funny right there! :D
  15. socko47 Active Member

United-States
    In re-reading this thread I realized two issues to be clarified. The cost of the implant surgery along with the restoration would be in the $5,000.00 to $8,000.00 range.
    And Luis R. I hope the next time your sister fixes your teeth with new materials instead of used! ["she charged me cost of used materials only"] ( I read your response literally and it made me laugh) Just being a wise guy.:D
    Landrotten Highlander and Henk like this.
  16. Luis R. Active Member

Spain
    I could have saved even more if I had dug out the materials myself, but graveyards here are kept locked and under CCTV surveillance at nightime

Please bear with me, English is not my mother tongue.
    Nap likes this.
  17. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I'll offer a corollary to that advice: before you try to remove the cap from a bottle of Vallejo using force, examine the cap carefully and see if it looks like the plastic has deteriorated. I just took a bottle of Vallejo Model Color Bronze this morning to use it. It's been sitting for a long time; I'd never opened it. I shook it a couple of times to mix it and the paint made no noise, like it was extremely thick.

So I thought I'd pull the cap and have a look.

The nipple on the bottle didn't look bad, but when I took a pair of pliers and tried to apply pressure, the nipple crumbled. No mess, and I can get the paint out through the hole. But that was the first time that the whole thing disintegrated.

Though I have to say, I have another Vallejo bottle that has a split or crack in the nipple, from the opening down a couple of millimeters. When I squeeze out a drop, paint oozes out of the crack.

I haven't seen this happen with other brands' bottles, only Vallejo's. The plastic seems to have a relatively short shelf life.

Prost!
    Brad
  18. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I feel your pain...
    About 30 years ago, having read about the perils of eating hard tack during WW1, I bought some from an American Civil War Society sutler and decided to find out 'just how hard it was'.
    I now have a wide gap in my top right jaw and a crown below it.
    DON'T eat hard tack.
    Ever.