1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Carl Emil Doepler invents the Germanic Warrior

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by Hans, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Hans Member

Germany
    Great! Make him naked, so nobody can cavil about wrong clothing....:D:cool::D

More serious: I am eager to see him, I am sure it will be a gread modelling job!
  2. Gennady Danshin Member

Russian-Federation
    Why are you sure on it? :unsure:
    By the way, what do you thinking about this recinstruction of Middle La Tene period Celtic dress?

[IMG]
  3. Hans Member

Germany
    Gennady, I am sure because if somebody walks along the right side of the street, he will reach the destination on the right side...

Concerning the Middle La Tene Celt ( short cut LTB / LTC ): What we can assume for safe are pants, a tunic, a cloak. Colours and patterns as you like it, checkerboard are described.

[IMG]
    http://www.vicus.org.uk/images/volubilis.gif
    But now we are near the end what we can assume for the dress.

But what is well known are the surviving metal objects. The fibula shown is a Early La Tene Fibula (LTA), for Middle-La-Tene you need a fibule "mittellatene-schema".
    http://www.coinhirsch.de/AUDaten/268-269/WWWOut/01347-WWW.jpg

http://www.praehistorische-archaeologie.de/images/mittellatene-fibel-eisen-01-e7.jpg

http://www.dainst.org/sites/default/files/medien/de/FibelAbb.8_gr.jpg
    (These ones are even from the Ucraine!).

http://sciencev1.orf.at/static2.orf.at/science/storyimg/storypart_109891.jpg

Large one, very large ones from iron, smaller ones from bronze.

A absolute must-be for LTB/LTC is the iron chain belt for the sword. Beside the fibulas these chain belts are very characteristic.
    http://www.archeoart.org/images/Mathieu_2005.pdf

French text, but the drawings are really good. You must not follow the most complicated schemes, but, as already said, chains are essential.

[IMG]

Find from Lower Bavaria

[IMG]
    Upper Bavaria, Manching

Same with helmets, LTB/LTC helmets are more than typical. Any helmet you may find with cheek guard and a three-part circular embellishment is Middle-La-Tene. Early La Tene: No cheek guards, Late-La-Tene: No three-part circular embellishments.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Former collection Guttmann, unkown location

[IMG]

Collection Guttmann, very very late Middle La Tene, nearly Late La Tene

[IMG]

Gennady, I am sure also, that all this is very familiar to you, but I took the chance to characterize this period also for our other readers. :awesome:

Hans
  4. Gennady Danshin Member

Russian-Federation
    Many thanks, Hans. Yes, many of these artifacts are familiar to me. However, I have found some interesting things. And helmet of 3rd photo (with a hole in cupola) I’m exactly wanted to use for my figure!
    What do you think about the idea: if will I make my Celt warrior with breast bronze disk, as some armour variety? If I’m not mistaking, such “sort” of armour has been used around this period (i.e. MLT) in Italia.
    Best regards.
  5. Hans Member

Germany
    Those breast protectors are strictly south-of-the-alps, as far as I know. None of them has found yet further north in a celtic context. Older ones are known up to Scandinavia and some scholars say that those discs from the byci skala cave (Hallstatt age) may some sort of it. May be they are discs for horses. For the south-of-the-alps-celts it is nearly impossible to distinguish celt from north italic people, judging from the graves. So, IMHO, if you choose such a "cardiophylax", it will represent an north italic inhabitant, not necesseraly a celt.

H
  6. Hans Member

Germany
    If you want to have a north-of-the-alps-celt with such a breast plate, I would suggest a Hallstatt Celt of the C-Period. There a more such discs found, usually adressed as horse equipment. But if adressed as cardiophylax, such a Hallstatt warrior would have looked like this:

[IMG]
    I made this drawing some years ago and as already said, the use of the breast plate is a little bit conjectural.

H.
  7. Gennady Danshin Member

Russian-Federation
    Yes, I myself now only one such disk – from burial-place of Celtic war chief, MLT, circa early III Cent. BC, near Chiumeshti, Romania. The time of the rich in armour burial is exactly correspond to the great Celtic invasion to the Balkans, and some Ukrainian archaeologists ( Voznyak, for example) are thinking that war chief from Chiumeshti burial might be famous Celtic chieftain Cambavlos himself (!!!), which has been mentioned by Pausanius, X, 19. But this idea, undoubtedly, is conjectural and extremely disputable. And this disk quite might be as some horse harness part too:

[IMG]

However, as I think, such cardiophilaxes are might be in Celts` hands, even if theoretically.
    The matter with cardiophilax for my Celt figure is that: I don’t like to make him with chain mail, but without any armour the miniature will be looked very simply and uninterestingly, to my mind.
    Maybe my Celt with cardiophilax on his breast is will not be a terrible historical error? :rolleyes:
    Many thanks for your nice Hallstatt Celt reconstruction.
    Best wishes.
  8. Hans Member

Germany
    No, it's not a terrible error, because you will use a artefact in the correct style and no fantasy piece and from the correct age. I will never expect more than that from a model figure. May be I won't do it as one of my 1:1 scale museum replicas, but for a scale model: Great!! :):)
  9. Gennady Danshin Member

Russian-Federation
  10. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Gennady,

Sorry just seen this thread, missed in last year when Hans started it.
    As Ulrich said figure by Shane Tarry, Limited Edition.
    I painted boxart for him, though it was never officially produced.
    You can find more on the backstory for this one here:
    http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=medrenfig&msg=1837.1

Trust that helps & congrats on your latest Hoplite release, very unusual.

Stay safe,
    Mike
  11. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hey Ulrich I missed your posting of this last year, thanks mate for sharing this one.

Mike
  12. Gennady Danshin Member

Russian-Federation
    My latest Hopline release? :confused: Is this, probably, about my 90 mm figure of the Phrygyan warrior, V Cent. BC ?
  13. Gennady Danshin Member

Russian-Federation
    Реконструкция М. Горелика.gif warriors2.jpg

Mike, are you about this figure?
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  14. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand