1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Captain Z Tribute to a fallen friend

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jeff, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Jeff Active Member

United-States
    I am not sure how to start this post. My friend Timothy Finkas was an amazing creative man it was a pleasure to know him for as long as I did. Tim excelled and just about any sort of artistic endeavor. He was a graphic designer he was an amazing costumer. He did costumes for just about every period you can imagine and his costumes were always of the highest caliber. From ancients to modern stuff. If you are on FB and can look him up. Just look at his photos and you will see what I am talking about. I simply can not do justice in this post what an amazingly creative person he was.

A few years back he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer his health was a bit of a roller coaster. In 2012 he decided to come out to the Dickens fair in San Francisco what might just be one of his last trips out before the end. He decided to do so as the mysterious Captain Z the inventor and Captain of the submarine HATEFISH. A Nemo like person based on Gustave Zede. All of his friends and family would be his crew. So in the space of about three weeks we transformed ourselves in to 19th century sailors. Some officers some common seamen. We bought off the rack sailors uniforms from The National Civil War Naval Museum at Port Columbus and then trimmed them out in the fashion of French sailors of the time so red trim and red hat poms. Tim designed patches for the hats and had them made and a few other items that he found and repurposed from the internet. It was a wonderful weekend and so much fun. A photo of the crew with our good Captain who though still showing the scars of this battle with cancer he was in great health that weekend .

So our friend Tim passed in 2013, but the Hatefish crew has continued to get together for events. Our good Captain is on Eternal Patrol. All of that being said I decided to do a figure of my friend Tim as a tribute. Though early on I decided to do him as a younger healthier version of Captain Z. He had worn the costume before while portraying Captain Nemo for Halloween so I had photos of him with a full beard and curled long stash.

Attached Files:

Chris Mortimer, Eludia, lopee and 7 others like this.
  2. Jeff Active Member

United-States
    By the way the head is 1/32 scale.
  3. jenghiz Active Member

England
    A great tribute to an inspirational friend.I wish you all the best in your endeavour.
    Chris Mortimer likes this.
  4. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    I've been following this on FB, it is turning out great.
  5. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Great idea for a tribute... ensuring your friend lives on.

Following with great interest

Colin
  6. polyphemus Well-Known Member

Great idea. Best wishes with this one.

Geoff
  7. Helm A Fixture

England
    Brillant tribute to your friend and looking to be very interesting indeed
    Steve
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Touching tribute. Great to have friends like that! Shows one of the strong aspects of this site.

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  9. Jeff Active Member

United-States
    Thanks everyone. If this works out I may produce the figure. He works as a Nemo like Steam Punk figure. I plan to do two poses one an action pose and one of him raisning a glass in a toast. I started posing the mannequin today. The neck still needs to be trimmed down a bit. I think the left hand needs to be slightly changed as well.

Attached Files:

ChaosCossack and yeo_64 like this.
  10. lopee Active Member

Czech-Republic
  11. swralph A Fixture

Nice tribute
  12. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    A fitting tribute to your friend.
  13. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A fitting tribute, I'm sure your friend will be watching with a smile on his face :)

Cheers,
    Billy
  14. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    That's a great thing to do
  15. Jeff Active Member

United-States
    Locking in the pose. The leaf is a joke for some freinds of mine. I have not posed the hand as I will need to make the drinking vessel to do that. Exactly what cup to use is still up in the air at the moment.

Attached Files:

ChaosCossack likes this.
  16. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Great start. Perhaps an overly decorated stemmed, silver gobblet?
    Who makes the manniquin you have used?

Colin
  17. Jeff Active Member

United-States

Attached Files:

John Bowery and ChaosCossack like this.
  18. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    First pic is exactly what I meant.
    Thanx for the link.

Colin
  19. Jeff Active Member

United-States
    I turned some glasses today. The big cup above came from the spars box. I believe it is a Border Miniatures piece so if I produce this it will need to be replaced. So I am working on a selection of my own.

Attached Files:

ChaosCossack and captnenglish like this.
  20. Jeff Active Member

United-States
    Dressing Captain Z one leg at a time.

Attached Files:

ChaosCossack and captnenglish like this.