1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Captain Millers last stand...Private Ryan Scene

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by SRP, Jan 16, 2011.

1. SRP Active Member

United-Kingdom
    The reasons for me having a go at this scene are ...I love the movie..and I had a motorbike/sidecar hanging around and no idea what to do with it.
    I had taken a few pics along the way..so I thought I would share them.
    I roughed up a base I found and rolled modeling clay onto it..cutting around the edge while still soft...and carefully scribed the brick work design.
    The wall was a lump of plaster cut from an old plaster building..onto which I roughly penciled the stonework...which was then scraped with a pointed tool to get the stone relief.
    This was then wetted and stuck onto the soft base...and at this stage...the bike and figure were pressed onto it to enable a good fit after wards.
    When dry..the base received rubble and fine dust sprinkled over a thin white glue solution..and when this was dry...helped along with an hair dryer..given undercoats and washes of acrylic in much the same way as described in an earlier SBS.
    The figure was scratch built...using a spare head and boots I had in the spares box..adding hair to the bald head.
    Real scenes can be frustrating as they never seem to look exactly how you want...mine don't...but if you're happy with the end result..and it says what you want..then I guess that's ok...!!!
    The scene is 54mm and everything was brush painted in acrylics.
    Hope you like it.
    Steve.

Attached Files:

tbolt7, Wlas, Kandor8 and 15 others like this.
  2. TWOMOONS Active Member

United-States
    Bravo, Steve.
    Obviously the whole thing is aces, but for me, the anatomy and positioning of the arm with the pistol is brilliant. Perfect.
    I "says" it all, just like Hanks got out of that pose in the film.
    gordy likes this.
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Another superb piece Steve.
    Carl.
  4. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Just absolutely fantastic..........you nailed it, a wonderful job.

Dave
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Brilliant Steve, from conception to execution it's great.
  6. ausf Active Member

United-States
    Outstanding work on all fronts.
  7. SRP Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks all for your comments....much appreciated.
    Steve
  8. Christosjager A Fixture

Greece
    Indeed an excellent work Steve, well done.
  9. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Very nicely done Steve.:)
  10. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Fantastic execution of this scene mate and body language of the figure is just right for the movie scene, a relaxed and defeated pose knowing his fate which is upon him. You do some amazing stuff in 1/35 mate and I really enjoy seeing your creations.

Steve
  11. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Brilliant work again Steve. Only one thing missing.......................it needs one of your backdrops m8, you know you want to!

Barrie.
  12. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Steve,thats a lovely piece of work youv'e created there,this is one of my favourite films as well,you really have captured that last pose of tom hanks brilliantly,congratulations (y)
  13. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    My friend Steve,
    Perhaps what my favorite scenes in this project ... really fantastic work, but also a fantastic representation of the issue made it.
    I really like it a lot
    Bravo!!

Alexandros
    http://alexminiatures.blogspot.com/
  14. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Steve, an excellent creation, reminds me to watch the film yet again.(y)

Cheers Ken
  15. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Steve,
    Nice execution and finish.
    Cheers
    John
  16. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    Beautifull scene Steve. I love it.
  17. SRP Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks every one for the nice comments...much appreciated...no doubt it will have a background very soon...!!!
  18. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Nice one steve, you really are quick to put these out, and with great detail and execution. Love it.
    Ben
  19. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Super little movie vignette Steve very well done !! Your setting is spot on.
  20. SRP Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for your comments..............!!!!