1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Captain Mercer RHA - Waterloo 1815

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by smudger1960, Sep 14, 2015.

1. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I've had this piece in my grey army for nearly a year now,I was going to paint it late last year but I was still completing the trench raiders so I just never got round to it,however I've now released him from the grey army cabinet and started the assembly and clean up yesterday.
    This bust depicts Captain Mercer at Waterloo and is sculpted very well by Maurice Cory,it is available from Mitches Military Models all cast in resin,it contains about 11 or 12 parts in total.
    Casting is well done but some areas of the resin Pelise are very thin and care must be taken when attaching to the main body of the bust,the pelise will need some clean up and block removal,however there is a flash line through the braiding on one side so again some careful sanding is required.
    The Pelise will need some warming up to make sure it's a good fit on the main body,over the left shoulder and round the neck,some sanding out inside the pelise will be nessassary to get a comfortable fit over the left shoulder,a lot of patience is required here,I did mine in stages,if you try and force the shape when heated up it could break.
    The arms and head were cleaned up and fitted onto the figure,also the hands are sperate so these will need to be attached to the arms and then the arms aligned to line up the telescope,this is another stage where trial runs are essential to make sure the telescope fits into both hands.
    Some filler was required to fill moderate gaps once the pieces had been assembled,the pelise I pinned with piano wire just for the purpose of the photos,the pelise will be painted seperatley.
    The sash was a bit of a concern because with it being thin there's every possibility it could be broken when transporting the piece,to rectify this I added a tiny piece of resin under the bust where the sash will attach,this will give it added strength should it get knocked.
    I'm currently planning to give this bust some sort of addition which at the moment I have a couple of ideas I'm thinking about but nothing confirmed.
    I have also given the hair more volume,for this I added magic-sculp over the original detail.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Brian
  2. mick3272 A Fixture

Hi Brian.
    I shall be watching this every step of the way. Having attempted to paint the full version I will be very interested to see how the master does it, To late for mine but watching you will help with any future type figs.
    So lots of pics and explanations please,

Mick
    Wings5797 and smudger1960 like this.
  3. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi mick,I brought this piece in November last year when it was just released,I've seen the full size version which looks great,sadly I won't buy it again,however I'm looking forward to this one,I've always loved the Blue,Red and Grey of the RHA uniforms so I'm looking forward to getting the paint on it.
    You say you've attempted it,how did you get on with it?,do you have any photo's,when you say too late,did you finish yours ?
    mick3272 likes this.
  4. mick3272 A Fixture

Hi Brian ,
    When I look at your work then at mine, mine is an attempt. Yes I did finish it, I posted it on here as a work in progress earlier this year, and It is also in an album in the galleries. I intend to get MMM 200mm Crimean 11th Hussar at Euro so watching this will help.
    Mick
    Wings5797 and smudger1960 like this.
  5. mick3272 A Fixture

6. Nap Moderator

England
    Brian,

Great subject..following this closely but are you going to have it finished by Saturday for Euro????!!!

Liking what you did to the hair ....you say going to add something ...can I suggest a horse head....wink wink!!!!

Get painting young man

Nap
    smudger1960 likes this.
  7. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi mick,you'll have to forgive me,as I see so many things on here it's easy to forget,I posted on your original work,I've just seen the link as well,I think you done a very good mate,I hope you finish it and display it on here,I see you had the same issues as me with the pelise,I can't understand why it comes out so thin,I virtually had a hole in mine down the back
    mick3272 likes this.
  8. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Ha ha,sorry Kev but this won't be finished for a couple of months yet mate,I know what you mean about the horse but I've got something else in mind mate :)
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England

He he ....Mmmmm could be leaning on something perhaps !

Nap
    smudger1960 likes this.
  10. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Not sure yet
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  11. mick3272 A Fixture

I Did finish it Brian, it is located Second from bottom on Page 4 Completed works.. Yes it was thin in a couple of places easily fixed and not worth getting out of the pram about but dont see why it should happen, looking at yours appear to be in the same place,????? Will be interesting to see if the same problem appears on the 200mm 11th Hussar. `Cant think what you could add unless you mount it on a pile of cannon balls or a wheel.
    Mick
    smudger1960 likes this.
  12. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I'll keep you guessing mate,sent you a message,I'll have a look on page 4 mate :)
  13. swralph A Fixture

Looking forward to this one Brian.
    smudger1960 likes this.
  14. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Ralph
  15. chailey Active Member

England
    Can you give me an idea of how you go about 'warming up' the resin Smudger, I had problems with one section of the pelisse breaking off, it is VERY fragile.

Thanks, Steve
    smudger1960 likes this.
  16. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve,there's a few ways to do it,you can place it in hot water or what I do is place my heated pyro grave behind it until it's warm then re-shape it,I'm sorry to hear about the breakage Steve and your right it's very thin,anything which generates direct heat should work,however it's no 5 minute fix,you will need tho thin the resin out on the thick parts and then warm it up before shaping and the repeat it,I had to do it about 7 times.
    I hope this helps
    chailey likes this.
  17. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    I'll be watching this one with great interest.
    smudger1960 likes this.
  18. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks my friend :)
  19. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi smudged, any more progress on this one ?
    smudger1960 likes this.
  20. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi malc,I hope to have some updates next week,I'm trying to do 2 projects at the same time and I've been tied up with the 2nd project,however I do hope to get back to mercer very soon :)
    malc likes this.