1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Captain Charles Upham VC & Bar

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by John Belcher, Apr 23, 2010.

1. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello guys,Phil Walden has asked me if I would post a work in progress picture of his sculpt of Captain Charles Upham VC & Bar.Phil has just started painting his original in artists oils.

Regards,John

Captain Charles Upham VC & Bar (21 September 1908 – 22 November 1994) was a New Zealand soldier who earned the Victoria Cross twice during the Second World War: in Crete in May 1941, and at Ruweisat Ridge, Egypt, in July 1942. He was only the third person to receive the VC twice, the only person to receive two VCs during the Second World War and the only combat soldier to receive the award twice. As a result, Upham is often described as the most highly decorated Commonwealth soldier of that war, as the VC is the Commonwealth's highest award for extreme gallantry in the face of the enemy

Attached Files:

flart1943, mil-mart, red tom and 4 others like this.
  2. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Phil
    You,ve captured his character well both in sculpt and paint.look forward to his progress.
    Andy
  3. housecarl Forum Moderator

United-Kingdom
    An excellent tribute, to an extremely courageous individual.
    Carl.
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Great painting and sculpting Phil. You've managed to capture a great likeness of this truly courageous man.
  5. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    Fanstastic overall!
  6. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Yes you certainly have achieved the look of Charles Phil & I have been longing to see him immortalised in miniature. I've even tried to encourage another famous sculptor to give him a go as I'm sure it would be a commercial product.

Phil\John is this a one off or potentially a new release to come out?

Thanks for sharing either way!

Mike
  7. PHIL WALDEN Member

Morning folks...First John, thanks old son for the posting....also l truly appreciate the comments made of this man and my sculpt...the sculpting of this bust has for many years been many a false start, but family contact got things going l thank them for that... and their photos and small things pointed out...
    Mike, how are you, l'm not sure if it would be the right thing to do with out the family and his remaining old mates ok...may be, perhaps!!, he was a very private gentleman, may not have liked the idea...it would be a great honour to do so mate..

cheers..phil..