1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Captain - Cavalry of the Plains 120mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Andrew Perren, Jan 20, 2016.

1. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Are you going to add any dusting effects anywhere ? I think it needs it .
    chippy
    Scotty likes this.
  2. Andrew Perren PlanetFigure Supporter

Yes he's going to get a fair bit dustier. Mainly around the boots, knees and elbows.
  3. balder PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Looks great, Andrew. I've got this one in the grey army as well.
    Gerald
  4. Andrew Perren PlanetFigure Supporter

Ok some more progress to show. Assembly is now all but complete with the reins and stirrups added. Verlinden give you a small sheet of lead foil but no instructions so after studying umpteen photos of US cavalry saddles ( all different !) I made the reins up from strips of lead foil and fuse wire. I am leaving the dirtying up until I've finished the base so I can tie it in but I did add some dark sweat patches to the figure.

IMG_1175.JPG

IMG_1177.JPG

IMG_1179.JPG

IMG_1180.JPG

Cheers
    Andrew P.
  5. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Andrew after seeing your work I have to get this kit everything so far looks spot on . (y)
    chippy
  6. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great work - I particularly like the way you have painted the horses eyes.
    Cheers
    Mat
  7. Andrew Perren PlanetFigure Supporter

SAM_1062.JPG

SAM_1063.JPG

SAM_1066.JPG

SAM_1069.JPG

SAM_1070.JPG

SAM_1075.JPG

SAM_1073.JPG

Well this chap is basically finished. Groundwork completed and added a water trough made from balsa. The first try for the water was Vallejo Still Water which was absolutely garbage, huge cracks and it shrunk away from the edge. Next try at water was with clear epoxy casting resin which was much more satisfying. For a build full of firsts I'm pretty happy with the result. But now it needs to be off the bench.
    View attachment 232664

Cheers

Andrew P.
    Grod, Old Pete, arj and 2 others like this.
  8. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Andrew just goes to show great minds think alike (y) I have just built a water trough for this 54 mm diorama . I used Jarvis Simulated Water , you can only apply 1/8 inch at a time and takes 24 hours before you can add more so it's a bit of a slow process
    I like the way your figure has turned out and thanks for showing this build .

DSC_0193 (2).JPG

chippy
  9. Andrew Perren PlanetFigure Supporter

Thanks Chippy. I appreciate the comment.
  10. Jim Active Member

I owned and trained horses for decades - none now. If this horse is that exhausted, unless it's taking a dump, it's very doubtful the tail would be up in that position.

You're doing a very good job on the painting of rider and horse.
    tomifune likes this.
  11. Andrew Perren PlanetFigure Supporter

Thanks Jim. Regarding the tail, unfortunately there is no positive location and no instructions other than the box art. That's just where it seems to fit best. Maybe it's excited to be getting a drink. :)
    tomifune likes this.