1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Captain - Cavalry of the Plains 120mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Andrew Perren, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Andrew Perren PlanetFigure Supporter

I recently started a new project. I've wanted to do a mounted figure for a while, so with some plucked up courage I ordered this relatively inexpensive 120mm Cavalry figure from the Verlinden North & South series. The main reason was to do my first horse. Here is the progress to date:

[IMG]

The figure is almost done - he just needs some weathering and dust.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

One of my modelling friends has pointed out that my horse's neck is too short ?? What say you my learned friends ?
    Seeing as this is just a painting trial project I will probably make do but I would be keen to know for future reference.

[IMG]

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
    Andrew P.
  2. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Good work Andrew,
    This is really coming along well. With so many blues to dean with you look to have cracked it.
    My take on the horses neck......there is a marked difference from a tired horse and a grazing horse.
    When eating grass a horses neck will stretch to reach the ground.
    If a horse is tired the neck will just hang.
    I guess that your horse is worn out and would look something like the first image.
    The horse in the second image is wide awake and looking for food.
    I hope that this helps in some way.
    Keith.
    Sorry about the size of the photos[IMG]
    [IMG]
  3. Andrew Perren PlanetFigure Supporter

Good intel Keith - thanks.

The Verlinden horse is still quite upright and tensed up. In your photo of the grazing beast the neck bends sharply down right from the point of the shoulders and the breast bone is quite a bit lower than your first pic.
    Wings5797 likes this.
  4. Claude Portsmouth Active Member

Hi Andrew, very nice work on the figure. I'm no expert but I wouldn't have any issues with the Horse, it should paint up very well.

Claude
    Andrew Perren likes this.
  5. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    My first impression was that the horse looked tired, I'm no horse expert but I think it looks fine. I have had a 120mm mounted figure on the go for about five years so I'll look forward to your progress.
  6. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice work so far, as for the horse have it drinking from a water trough, that will suite the pose well and distract from the neck length, will also add something interesting to the groundwork.
    Steve
  7. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    2016-01-20-17-50-56--1491521480.jpeg It reminds me of this.
  8. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Make the grass tall...:p
    tonydawe and Andrew Perren like this.
  9. Ray Welshman Active Member

Looking good so far.

Cheers

Ray
  10. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lovely work. I didn't even know they did this one !
    I like it.... a lot.

Psul
  11. Andrew Perren PlanetFigure Supporter

Great info thanks guys. Water trough sound like a winner.
  12. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Hi Andrew look beaut, and your friend has a good eye, I'd have to agree, but by possibly a millimeter or two? Noce looking piece.
    Regards
    Chris.
  13. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Andrew I'm so glad you have posted this piece . I have looked at it a few times on the Verliden site but it never really clicked with me enough to buy but seeing the superb job you are doing on this one I can see it's a fine piece . As far as the horse is concerned , it dose look really tired and on it's last legs . One way off painting it would be dusty with that white sweat horses get when they have been really push to there limits but that would mean you having to dust up the figure as well
    Paul this is on special offer on Verlindins site just , now I know you'r working on a couple of Napoleonic figures just now but this is for sale around £ 30.+ postage . Something for the weekend at Price
    chippy
  14. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The figure's looking very good.
    Historex Agents have it for £37.75. Amazing price for a 120mm mounted figure.

Cheers,
    Andrew
  15. Andrew Perren PlanetFigure Supporter

Got the basic tones airbrushed on the horse today. Pretty happy so far.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Thanks for watching.
    Andrew P.
    balder and red tom like this.
  16. Andrew Perren PlanetFigure Supporter

More work done on the head.
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg
    Mat Lambert, balder, Scotty and 2 others like this.
  17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Andrew,

In his excellent book Building & Painting Scale Figures, Shepard Paine produced a diagram showing the direction that horse hairs grow on the body to help illustrate how you can replicate hair details to give extra life and detail to your paint job. I've found that using this technique helps to emphasise the muscles and contours of the horse's anatomy. Sorry I can't show you a photo, but if you have the book I highly recommend you read it and try the technique.
  18. Andrew Perren PlanetFigure Supporter

Thanks Tony I'll follow that up for the next one.

Ok some more progress. Sabre is added to the figure and trial fitted. The horse is basically done except for reins and stirrups.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
    balder, Scotty and Ray Welshman like this.
  19. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is looking first rate so far. If you are from the USA, you'll know that US and UK cavalry hold their reins differently!

Happy modelling,

Mike
  20. Ray Welshman Active Member

Looking good so far, I took this kit several years ago and converted it to a Canadian Mountie. You dont see a lot of 120mm anymore out there and its still my favourite scale.

Cheers

Ray
    balder likes this.