1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Captain 4th Rf Mons 1914 - Tommy's War

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Sep 28, 2012.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    This is my third Tommy’s War figure - in progress - a Captain 4th Royal Fusiliers at Mons in 1914. I have modelled him running along the railway platform at Nimy. I found a vintage photo of the train station on the net to use as reference.

nimy.jpg

The railroad rail is modelled from Sculpey, as is the bulk of the platform. The wooden railway platform planks are made from Starbucks wooden stir sticks.

I had some major repairs to do on this guy at the front end as I dropped him as I was priming him. The resin that Tommy’s uses is quite brittle and the model shattered in several spots. Specifically, his left leg broke at the knee, and his thumb, Webley barrel and cap peak all broke off and were actually lost. I had to recreate the cap peak and thumb from Magic Sculpt and I built a new pistol barrel from Duro. I was lucky as the repairs came out OK.

The model is painted in oils (except groundwork which is acrylics) and the still to complete are his eyes, breeches, boots and high highlights.

Once again I have to say "great figures" in the Tommy's range. :cool: As usual, photography sucks and comments are welcome.

Colin
    post2.jpg post3.jpg post4.jpg post5.jpg post 1.jpg
  2. Tommy's War Active Member

United-Kingdom
    This is great, I love it.

If you ever get broken parts then drop me a line, I carry spares and its no problem to post bits out (y)
    crf likes this.
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Darren - I never thought of that - great of you to make that offer. I will keep it in mind and hope others do to.

Given what I broke, it would have been both arms, head and bod....I don't have that much nerve given I was the one who broke them. :)

Cheers

Colin
  4. LVM Active Member

Belgium
    I like the painting of your figure Colin ! I think that your pictures do not suck ... I just think that an uniform background suits better for figure picture.

Laurent
  5. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    That's a right looking spit and polish officer! The cool base you created lends it a nice atmosphere. (y)

Joe
  6. Tommy's War Active Member

United-Kingdom
    No problem Colin

It doesn't matter if you broke them, a spare part isn't a big deal. As long as you don't ask for a replacement body...

...then a replacement head..
    ...then a replacement left arm...
    ...then replacement right arm... :whistle: :)
  7. Helm A Fixture

England

Hmmm that has potential :LOL: Great job on the repairs Colin looks great
  8. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Colin,
    Lovely setting to show off the figure, looks very good so far and congratulations on some excellent repairs, would never have guessed.
    cheers
    Richie
  9. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Looks great Colin!!! (y)
    Groundwork is excellent. Love the composition. Is very effective.
    Any chance to see it, tomorrow in London?
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  10. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent work Colin.
    Can't see the repairs,
    Carl.(y)
  11. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks all. The fact that repairs went well are a text book argument for why Euro judges should not glue broken entries back together in the competition room. :eek:

He's in progress Zeno so no London for him. There is a less than 50% chance that I may be able to drop by I know I can't devote enough time tomorrow to deliver entries, see the show and then pick up. Sadly.

Have a good time all who are going!

Colin
  12. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Well done again
    Hope u drop by London at least for a bit

Colin