1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Capt. Joe Foss USMC, Guadalcanal, 1942

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by Canoehead, Jul 4, 2022.

1. Canoehead Well-Known Member

A few glamour shots of my latest project from Mitches Military Models in 1/9 scale in oils and acrylics. Sculptor Pavol "Offo" Ovecka produced a fantastic likeness of Medal of Honor recipient Capt. Joe Foss during the Battle of Guadalcanal:

IMG_5011.JPG IMG_5008.JPG IMG_5012.JPG IMG_5013.JPG IMG_5026.JPG IMG_5025.JPG IMG_5027.JPG IMG_5018.JPG
    gazer, dmcHobbes, arj and 7 others like this.
  2. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Wonderful work.
    Canoehead likes this.
  3. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Fantastic work

Mobo
    Canoehead likes this.
  4. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Canoehead likes this.
  5. Canoehead Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike - high praise indeed. I suspect that Offo used that photo for the basic sculpt.

In terms of paint, I undercoat with basic craft store acrylics, followed by oils for shadows and highlights; I mainly use Winsor Newton, Grumbacher and Old Holland brands.

Thanks again for the kind comments - looking forward to picking up a copy of your book.

Cheers,
    Brian
    Nap likes this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Brian

Great to see you posting and a lovely piece of painting , really like the way you've brought the sculpt to life , nice fleshwork and do like the cigar work

WHY NOT ENTER a piece into the class of your choice in JUNE/JULY FOTM here: :)(y)

Standard
    https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...dard-class-till-midnight-bst-31-07-22.454275/

Intermediate
    https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...iate-class-till-midnight-bst-31-07-22.454276/

Advanced
    https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...nced-class-till-midnight-bst-31-07-22.454280/

There is a Vignette & Diorama competition running here:
    https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...night-31-12-22-voting-from-1-31-01-23.414984/

Thanks for sharing

Always good to see your artwork , look forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Canoehead likes this.
  7. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Brian
    Glad I asked mate!
    Hadn’t picked it as oils & liking finish you’ve achieved.
    Must admit after seeing this & David Lane’s Kaiser I’m toying with a return to some experiments with oils, especially for flesh.
    Thanks for sharing.

Appreciate support on book
    - what are you looking to learn more about?
    MikeTheKiwi
    Canoehead likes this.
  8. Canoehead Well-Known Member

I was pretty content with the Foss bust...until I saw David's Kaiser. What a superb rendering! The bar is now a significant way above for me - but what a target to aim for!

I guess that answers your question re: your book as well - I've always been inspired by your work as a target to aim for in my own painting so the book will be a great benchside companion to study for techniques but especially for inspiration, especially for large scale faces. Can't wait to get my copy!

Cheers,
    Brian
    Nap and Mike - The Kiwi like this.
  9. Canoehead Well-Known Member

Thanks Nap for the kind comment. And yes, I'll definitely throw my hat in the ring with this one.

Cheers,
    Brian

P.S. Starting in on "your" Flying Tigers bust next!
    Nap and Mike - The Kiwi like this.
  10. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

Wow, excellent work! Thank you for posting the pictures.

Scott
    Canoehead likes this.
  11. Canoehead Well-Known Member

Thanks Scott - much appreciated.
    oldtrousers likes this.
  12. Cannonball A Fixture

Super piece Brian.

Neal
    Canoehead likes this.
  13. Canoehead Well-Known Member

Thanks Neal - cheers.
  14. arj A Fixture