1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Canadian WWI soldier 54th Battalion

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ghamilt1, May 24, 2014.

1. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    DSCN0234.JPG DSCN0235.JPG DSCN0236.JPG DSCN0237.JPG

This is my latest, which I just finished painting about 20 minutes ago. I haven't done any ground work because I don't have a suitable base yet. I'll work on that this week. The model is from Mitches Models, and is listed as a 120mm, but it's a lot bigger than any other 120mm figures I have. He measures out at 135mm from feet to top of the helmet. Thanks to Ray Welshman for picking it up for me at MFCA.
    Edward, Russ5281, moz and 18 others like this.
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Nice job. That didn't take long. Great job. Stay away from Pearson Airport with him.

Colin
  3. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Will do Colin! I'll be spending some time putting the Mongol back together later this week as well.:rolleyes:
  4. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  5. swralph A Fixture

Very nicely painted
  6. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
  7. offo A Fixture

Very nice it was painted. It's a pleasure to see this.
    You're right, it is larger than the normal 120 mm. A little bit of me goes a hand.;) I believe that it's not a big deal.
    Palo(y)
  8. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
  9. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks for the tip Mike. I have a nice piece of maple burr wood that just needs to be squared up and cut to length, and then I can decide on the type of ground work. Cobblestone looks very good to me, but I'll probably just carve some out of a flat piece of plaster.
  10. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Swralph and Monty, appreciate the feedback!:happy:
  11. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Cheers Zastrow! I had seen the review and I have to say MMM seem to have solved any problems or concerns that came up in that thread. My copy was clean, with minimal mold lines to clean up, fit was really good and he went together like a dream. I was even able to paint in sub assemblies, which is something I rarely do because I find it hard to putty over part of my paint job in order to fill in gaps. I preferred the helmet over the soft cap for historic reasons: Cloth caps, being worn in the first few years of the war, didn't seem to fit with the leather jerkin and gas mask pouch which became standard issue later (1916). know I could have done him up as an "old salt", but as soon as I got the kit I knew I wanted the helmet on him. The fact that he is bit bigger than the average 120mm is in no way a problem, unless I was to start hacking him up for conversion with other kit parts. As was said in the review, when you get the kit onto your work bench, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks also Palo, always an honour to hear from the sculptor. It's a great sculpt, a unique figure and I'm glad to have had a chance to splash some paint on him!
    Dan Morton, offo and crf like this.
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very, very nice painted.

Marc
  13. Ray Welshman Active Member

Very well done,

I must say that was fast though.

Cheers

Ray
  14. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Marc. Not used to painting such large scale figures. It presents some different challenges.
  15. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    And thanks to you Ray for picking this little gem up for me. This is a simple enough figure that it wasn't too hard to get the colours down. Toughest part was how to represent textures on such a large figure. The cross hatching of all that web equipment took a very long time.
  16. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi mate beautiful art work really brought him to life
    Cheers Chris
  17. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks very much Chris, kind of you to say.
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Glenn,

Very nice painting mate. Khaki is not an easy colour to paint but you've really nailed it.

As for a base, I'd go for mud and lots of it, but hey that's just me :D
  19. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    And get mud all over my nice clean soldier!!?? I suppose there's no other alternative, and it might be the easiest thing to do, so mud it is.
  20. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Contrary to popular myth, not all of WWI was fought in the mud. No need to do mud if you prefer dust.

Colin