1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Open Book Canadian Infantryman WW1 - Mitches Military Models

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Zastrow.cuirassier, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    It just arrived in the mailbox.
    One of the latest novelty in Mitches Military Models 120mm.
    Canadian WW1 Infantryman
    Great for me and highly recommended ....
    For you to make your own opinion by seeing pictures of this figurine.
    Remember I am not a professional photographer.
    DSC02455.JPG
    DSC02454.JPG DSC02456.JPG DSC02458.JPG DSC02460.JPG DSC02461.JPG DSC02463.JPG DSC02464.JPG DSC02465.JPG DSC02466.JPG DSC02467.JPG DSC02468.JPG
    To order :
    http://www.mitchesmilitarymodels.co.uk/120mm/4567800813
    Price : 35£ including WW shipping, what else ?
    Grod, offo and captnenglish like this.
  2. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mate
    Thanks for the out of box looks a cracking figure
    Cheers Chris
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi ZC ,

A nice subject looking at the pics however the casting line down the legs/puttees/boots is going to take some careful removal.same for the casting plug on the helmet I feel

.....is the torso hollow ( ref the hole in the arm socket in pics ?)

Saying that I do think the cap is a really nice piece of work ..good to see the Canadian troops being represented .

With a bit of careful prep the figure will look very nice IMO

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    Grod likes this.
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Nice! Would have preferred a dynamic pose or a little "story" with the figure, but well sculpted.

All the best,
    Dan
    Grod likes this.
  5. swralph A Fixture

Thanks for showing Zastrow. Though there are some very nicely cast part's in this kit, I must say the casting on the leg's/puttee's
    is nothing short of being absolutely awful(n)
    Grod likes this.
  6. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks kev
    I noticed the bad casting on the lower leg when I assembled one the other day and Ross has completed another mould. If anyone needs a replacement just contact Ross ( who is running the business now)via the web. The figure was originally sculpted with a pin in the upper arm and the hole you can see is the socket.
    Cheers
    Gordon
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  7. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys
    Was just looking again as I have this on my wish list , :) on the picture of the head the left ear looks like the top /back of lobe is missing thought that might be to accommodate the hat/ helmet but looked at box picture and its not worn that far back perhaps it is just the camera angle .
    I will have to call him 18 months when I gert him ......year and a half lol
    Cheers Chris
    Grod likes this.
  8. swralph A Fixture

It is very nice to hear that the problem will be sorted(y)
    Grod likes this.
  9. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    Everyone wants perfection.
    Remember that MMM is a craftsman.
    It is the best he can.
    I almost regret having to send this thread
    When you have the figure, you will not regret your purchase.
    Unfortunately, with a lot of beginners and others, some critics (who want to be constructive) have a dangerous effect.
    Accustomed to criticism from magazines (who live by advertising, our reviews can make their "fear" to buy these figurines. We have to support our craftmen.
    If we do not do this, we may even disappear these people trying to give us, in this hobby, figurines we expected.
    housecarl, offo and Grod like this.
  10. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I agree , and I will be the first to say what you have said I will be getting the figure , it was just I noticed the top of the ear lol
    It is hugely important that we have innovative nd creative sculpters as you will see from my Andy Cairns thread .
    And Gordon has quickly posted to say that the mold lines will be addressed great service Cheers Chris
    offo and Grod like this.
  11. swralph A Fixture

In no way whatsoever is this an attack against anyone,just my opinion.
    First of all Gordon has said the problem will be sorted(y)
    SecondlyI am not worried about historical accuracy but I do worry about quality of a product.If a product is of a poor quality and you know about it would you willingly buy it?. The "Dangerous effect" that no one will buy it,is that such a bad thing?(unless you want to buy poor quality).
    Thirdly,review's can make people fear buying a figure and we have to support our craftsmen.The opposite could be,the craftsmen have to fear the buyer for we will not buy inferior product's.If this means that a poor manufacturer goes out of business, so be it.
    I know a lot of figure producer's are small companies and I don't want to lose them and I am sure they do not want to lose us either.And as I said at the start this is just my opinon,and I only formed my opinion on the photo's that were posted here
    Have fun everyone and enjoy what you do.:)
    Thank you for reading Ralph.
    Grod likes this.
  12. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ralph I totally agree with your comments , I for one can get blinkered when I look at new figure / busts etc and miss the basic expectation , and yes when we buy some thing we don't want to spend a long time getting the basics right before we put brush to undercoat so to speak .
    I am lucky that at times I have quite long periods of down time from work not say that I don't do long hours when I am in work lol , and once I have got my chores done from the Obersturmfurher my time is mine ,or at least she makes me think it is lol, so yes in that window of opportunity to do my thing I want to paint and as you say without the regular patronage of the buying customer then this art form that we all have a commen bond with would not have developed like it has since that day in 1972 I think when I bought my first Military Modling mag lol.
    God that sounds along time ago and who would have thought that we would be where we are today .
    Just my two penny's worth ...bloody hell I just missed something on her list for the mother in law and if anyone thinks that Martin Boreman died in Berlin at the end of the war they are wrong he lives in Trowbridge as a women called Alice lol
    Ta Ta Chris
    swralph and Grod like this.
  13. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks for the constructive comments chaps and to Luc for taking the time and effort to post this.
    I'm the first to hold my hands up if there is a problem and we don't always get it right but will always try to rectify things.
    Ross has sent me some pics of the head to show he has got two whole ears Taff ...pardon....
    Cheers
    Gordon

Attached Files:

Dan Morton and offo like this.
  14. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Gordon , and thanks for the reply and look forward to your next releases
    offo likes this.
  15. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Nice sculpt,however I think the puttees have been sculpted upside down.he has worked from the top of the putteee downwards where the opposite should apply.
    Mounted units would have wrapped their puttees as the figure shows(NZ anyway ,not sure of others).
    Andy
  16. Jimmy S Well-Known Member

Australia
    Got mine today all the problems fixed have to agree with Andy though the puttees are upside down looks a little strange. Nothing a scrape and lead foil won't fix though.....

The head seems very Verlinden like so wondering if one was used as a base.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  17. offo A Fixture

To this I must say. My work is always original from the beginning! I do not use any head as a base! I can just deal with it alone.
    For this character I posted the SBS. Therefore reject speculation Verlinden head.
    Thank you for the constructive comments and I'm always happy for them.
    Palo - offo/ Pavol Ovečka
  18. Jimmy S Well-Known Member

Australia
    Pavol I meant it was in the same style as Verlinden, Very angular features and nice clean sculpting. I like the rifle very nice indeed.
    offo likes this.
  19. offo A Fixture

OK, I agree that this style may resemble something else. But like I said for me it's always been favorite part sculptu. Implement character face. And that I do not miss the face!
    All who know me and know my work to be confirmed.
    Probably there was a misunderstanding.
    Therefore, apologetically, that I not understand.
    And thank you for the comment on my work.
    Palo