1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Campaigns magazine DVD.

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by PhilinYuma, Aug 5, 2010.

1. PhilinYuma Member

United-States
    A while ago, I came across an advertisement for a DVD carrying all the issues of Campaigns magazine (from the 70s, for you youngsters):
    http://campaignsmagazine.com/
    Has anyone ordered from this site? Were you happy with the product? I don't know why, but I have misgivings, perhaps because they don't have a regular order form or secure site.
  2. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    I still have most issues from that magazine's history up until they went bust. I was sorry to see it go, although they did change it's format for the worst during the last year or so of it's existence.

For those curious about Model Soldier history, this publication was the brainchild of Philip O. Sterns, and one of the best periodicals covering our hobby at the time.
  3. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    And for someone interested in OWNING a bit of model soldier history, I have a set minus four issues for sale.--
  4. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the tip, I will check it out! I have an incomplete set. I'd still like to get hard copies of the specific issues I'm looking for (in particular, an issue with the first have of Richard Riehn's 2-part piece on SYW Prussian cavalry standards-I have part 2), but it would be nice to have them in e-format as well.

Though I have to say, $149 for the whole set is a bit much, perhaps. I sent an email to ask for the info, we'll see.

Prost!
    Brad
  5. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
  6. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Response received from Mataka.org

Hi, all, a bit of an update, I received an email yesterday evening, with the price info. They quoted me $59.95 plus $6.95 S&H in the US, so I don't know if that represents a deep discount, or if the "$149 quoted on the webpage is a serious typo. All 49 issues are burned onto a single disc. Hope that helps anyone mulling over ordering the discs; shoot an email to the link at the website, and see if you get the same response.

Prosit!
    Brad

A PS--Mataka.org is the same outfit that has taken pictures at some of the shows. I remembered a business card that I picked up at the IPMS Region 2 show last October (Jerseycon), and I saw them again at Mosquitocon, and I'm pretty sure they were at our (the MFCA's) show, too.
  7. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    An update--I went ahead and ordered the DVD, and it came last week. It is well worth the price, since I might never find some of the missing numbers that I need to complete my set.

The magazines are scanned in pdf, one page of the mag to one page in the file, and Mataka have added hotlinks to the table of contents, so you can skip to the article, by clicking the title/synopsis on the contents page.

I'll still probably keep looking for the hard copies that I need, because, I'm a collector. But this is very handy to have, not only for the reference articles, but also for the Roll Call section, showcasing new items. I often come across castings that I can't immediately identify, and the previews in "Campaigns" can be very helpful.

So, Roger and Gene give two thumbs up, prost!
    Brad
  8. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    And I'll add, in response to another thread about a Campaigns DVD for sale on eBay--don't know if it was Mataka's DVD--in which copyrighting was discussed, the DVD includes documentation discussing the relevant laws, and describing the steps Mataka took to determine whether there was an active copyright in force.