1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Campaign Miniatures Natal Pioneer, 1879

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Tommi, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Campaign Miniatures Natal Pioneer, 1879

Scale: 1:10 Material: Resin Sculpted by: Jim Evans Painted by: Jim Evans Research by: Kevin Peart

main1.jpg main2.jpg

This is the first in a series of new products by a newly established company, Campaign Miniatures. The company is masterminded by Kevin Peart & Jim Evans. They aim to produce a range of models that depicts soldiers of all nations and conflicts, this is the first offering, a bust of a Natal Pioneer 1879, Zulu War.

Image1.jpg Image2.jpg

The Parts of the Bust are supplied in a plastic carton, all parts are in poly zip bags. There is a colour painting guide included as well as a historical data sheet.

Image3.jpg

The bust comprises of six light grey resin parts. A close inspection of the parts show a minimal amount of cleanup of any seams or mould blocks. The small piece that fits to the left shoulder will need precision in cutting away the mould block.

Image4.jpg

Close up views of the side and front of the main torso show the detail That Jim has sculpted into the bust, we can also see more evidence of the clean casting that has been carried out.

Image5.jpg

Close up of the face for you to examine the detail

Image6.jpg Image7.jpg

The left arm locates nicely into the keyed socket on the bust, a snug fit with no evidence of any filler needed between the joint. The left arm is cast in one piece along with the hand which is holding a portion of the pick axe handle. The section of the handle in the hand is has a socket at each end to accept the other pieces of the handle.

The pick axe handle and head is made up of three parts and all parts locate together in the pre cast pin and socket location points once the small mould plugs have been removed.

Image8.jpg

As mentioned above, the shoulder piece needs removing from the block, the shaft of the pick axe locates into the recess of the shoulder part.

Conclusion:
    A very nice first release of a subject which is slightly different and adventurous. All parts are cleanly cast with only a minimal amount of cleaning and block removal. Well detailed face which should keep the painter busy for many hours. Highly recommended to anyone interested in this era of history. Good luck to Kevin and Jim with this new business venture and we look forward to any future releases you may produce in the coming months.

Availability:
    This will be released at Figure World on the 23rd July via El Greco who will be only too happy to take pre orders.

http://www.elgrecominiatures.co.uk/

Tommi
    gordy, pmfs, Steve and 1 other person like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Tommi ,
    Thanks for the review and the kind comments , I am pleased that you like it , the photographs bring out the details .

There has been one slight change the fold over backing insert has been replaced by a double sided business card quality piece in colour with the same details on front and back .

Keep a look out for our next release details .....we are a company well worth keeping in your favourites .

If anyone has any questions then please do contact me

Nap
  3. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Many thanks Tommi, very much appreciated
    Cheers
    Jimbo
  4. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    Kevin and Jimbo this is an exciting piece for me. I have a deep and abiding fascination for the AZW and get tired of finding only 24th Foot stuff to represent it. Thanks to Tommi's excellent review, I have gotten a good look at the casting and it appears to match the subject in terms of "I gotta have this". Well done and thanks!
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Steve ,
    Thank you for the comments , we are both glad that it meets your requirements .

It is of course available from El Greco Miniatures who with their great customer service will have the model on your bench soon

Here is the link for you:

http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/showpost.php?p=426695&postcount=1

We both look forward to seeing your WIP on the bust and appreciate any comments you might have during the process .

Have you seen my post on "What would you like to see as a bust" ..feel free to post any idea's

Nap