1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Cameron of Erracht Tartan - 19th Century

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Renato, Feb 22, 2022.

1. Renato Active Member

Italy
    All,

I am about to start a 79th New York Voluntary Infantry project and the tartan reference is the same of 79th Cameron Highlanders.

I searched the web for references but I struggle to understand if the 19th Centrury patterns were the same as the modern Cameron of Erracht tartan patters that are available these days.

Any suggestion for proper references are very welcome!!!

Ciao
    Renato
  2. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    Oda, Scotty, Renato and 1 other person like this.
  3. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Oda, Scotty, dmcHobbes and 1 other person like this.
  4. Renato Active Member

Italy
    Seems like the perfect answer! :) Thks!
  5. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    The whole subject of authentic / original tartans is a minefield full of myth and misinformation.
    The term 'ancient' is often a 20th C. interpretation of what an old tartan might have looked like.
    The special collections section of the Mitchell Library in Glasgow holds the Cockburn Collection that
    includes an original sample of 1810 -20 Cameron of Erracht sett.
    Given that its 200 years old it might be a bit faded though.
    Might be worth sending an email, and they might be able to send a digital image.

specialcolections@glasgowlife.org.uk

D
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
  7. F Troop Active Member

United-States
    I'm working on the same unit....75mm by Zone miniatures. Here are a couple of pics that might help View attachment 439051
    79th_newyork_kilt.jpg Reenactors impression
    Renato likes this.
  8. F Troop Active Member

United-States
  9. F Troop Active Member

United-States
    I found a picture of an original 79th kilt but it's copyrighted so I don't want to post it. The second pic is much closer to the original with maybe a bit more emphasis on the red stripes....a bit more in thickness. The first pic is a reenactor's impression, but it looks more akin to a Stuart than Cameron.
    Renato likes this.
  10. Renato Active Member

Italy

Thks! Yes the reenactor's tartan does not look even close......I am on 54mm from MMA, will be hard to replicate the tartan withut making a mess of red stripes...... :arghh:
  11. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    Renato likes this.
  12. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    While I have no further information for you, I can offer my procedure for painting this tartan, which I used for a 65mm David Grieve figure last year.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Renato likes this.
  13. Renato Active Member

Italy

Well, I have my drill but any additional techincal suggestion is always very welcome!!! in this hobby, we never stop learning :) feel free to share!
  14. Renato Active Member

Italy

This is very helpful! The 79th New York Highlanders apparently have the tartan pleated by the sett (like civilian kilts) and not by the stripe as your bagpiper (that rightly has the military pleating), but this simply means I will replicate the front pattern on the back. ;)
  15. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    In Bill Horan's book he does the Cameron tartan, that might be worth a look.
    Scotty.
    Renato likes this.
  16. F Troop Active Member

United-States
    FYI - the 79th NY kilts were not made according to British army standards. They were made by local tailors and the pleats were box pleats across the back (about 12), not knife pleats that you see on British Highland kilts. As noted above, the 79th NY sett was not pleated to the stripe.
    Renato likes this.