1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Caeser's face

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Roc, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Ray, thanks buddy, I'm glad you like it so far.

Ciao
    Roc. :)
  2. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    The face looks great, Roc!

Are you going to Chicago?

Jason
  3. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hello Jason, thanks, much appreciated.

Unfortunately for me, I will not be able to go this year, I will miss seeing all of you.
    I will probably go to the Long Island show, maybe I'll catch up with you there.

Cheers
  4. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Conspiracy and death.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    MARCH 15, 44 BC a day that shall live in infamy.

The rest of the tale is well known, thanks to Shakespeare. At the feast of the Lupercal in February, 44, Mark Antony offered Caesar a “crown” (the diadem of the Hellenistic kings). Caesar refused it, but doubts remained that he had personally arranged for the public offer. Some historians think he staged the incident simply to destroy the rumors he desired kingship. As Napoleon noted succinctly, "If Caesar wanted to be king, he would have got his army to acclaim him as such." Doubts lingered.

Two tribunes, pulling down diadems placed on his statues around the city, were dismissed from office. By dismissing them, Caesar attacked the inviolable position of Tribune of the plebs, the very point for which he claimed he fought in beginning the Civil War. Brutus was sounded out to remove the tyrant; Cassius enjoined; the conspirators grew, including Caesar’s most faithful subordinate, Decimus Brutus. Omens and supernatural portents, remembered later, spoke of danger to come; the dead “did squeak and gibber in the Roman streets.”

" Some of them had hopes of becoming leaders themselves in his place if he were put out of the way; others were angered over what had happened to them in the war, embittered over the loss of their relatives, property, or offices of state. They concealed the fact that they were angry, and made the pretense of something more seemly, saying that they were displeased at the rule of a single man and that they were striving for a republican form of government. Different people had different reasons, all brought together by whatever pretext they happened upon. "

Plutarch gives the responsibility for persuading Brutus to turn against Caesar to Cassius, who had a personal animosity against the Dictator and a "peculiar bitterness" against anyone more powerful than he. In addition, Brutus allegedly was pestered, in the last months of Caesar's life, by anonymous appeals calling upon him to rid the state of the tyrant, as his ancestor had done. Cassius had gathered a conglomerate of senators willing to assassinate Caesar but all agreed that the conspiracy could not succeed without the idealistic glamour that Brutus' participation would bring to it; he was the essential man to give the enterprise political legitimacy.

Fuller notes that "The avowed object of the plot was tyrranicide, which in the eyes of both Greeks and Romans was righteous and just...the plotters were well aware that under Caesar's autocracy their opportunities for financial gain and political power would vanish, and the prestige of the Senate would be obliterated... In short, the way of life the senators had been following since the Second Punic War would end. Their struggle against reforms had opened with the murder of the Gracchi, and they fondly imagined it could be closed by the murder of Caesar." Fuller, 302.

Cassius worked hard to convince Brutus to participate, befriending him in spite of their past contention. In one critical meeting, Cassius claimed that a meeting of the Senate on the Kalends (first day) of March, would declare Caesar a king on those parts of the Empire outside Italy. As Senators, each would either have to vote for kingship or reveal themselves in enmity to Caesar. Brutus then claimed he would be forced to "defend my country and to die for its liberty." With Brutus involved, the conspiracy planning began in earnest. Men were actively sounded to join (Cicero was left out because he was considered too timid by nature to keep the secret). It is astonishing how many of the perhaps 60 conspirators were Caesar's closest associates and friends or those who, fighting for Pompey, had been pardoned by him and raised to the highest officers in the state. Brutus, who was so beloved of Caesar that rumors abounded he was his natural son, who had to keep up the front of being calmly in league with Caesar while planning his murder, began to suffer in private. His wife Porcia, Cato's daughter, knew something was wrong. Eventually, by showing her own courage and ability to keep a secret, she persuaded him to tell her his plans to kill Caesar.

A meeting of the Senate was announced for the Ides (15th day) of March in which dispositions for the Parthian campaign and the issue of Caesar's kingship would be discussed. Caesar would leave on March 18 for Parthia to join his legions in the east, picking up his young relative, Octavian, on the way. Brutus rose early in the morning, hid a dagger under his toga, and met the other conspirators at Cassius' house; then hurried to Pompey's great civic megaplex. The Senate was temporarily meeting in a hall near Pompey's theater in which stood a large statue of Pompey. Caesar was late. Unknown to the nervous conspirators, he was contending with the fears of his wife, Calpurnia, that violence would attend his appearance at the Senate. He was finally persuaded to attend by his old comrade-in-arms, Decimus Brutus, who gently mocked Calpurnia's concerns while carrying his own hidden dagger.

As praetor, Brutus was forced to meet clients throughout that long morning and judge petitions while he waited to assassinate his friend. He knew that, for possible crowd control after the murder, a party of gladiators had been posted in the adjacent Pompey's Theatre. By all accounts he was outwardly calm, although the conspirators as a whole were so jittery that they nearly fled over small hints that their course of action might have been discovered. Word was brought to Brutus that Porcia, in an agony of suspense, had collapsed and appeared to be dead; even this did not shake him from his purpose, and he remained where he was, awaiting Caesar.

Finally, in early afternoon, Caesar arrived to open the Senate. As planned, Gaius Trebonius engaged Antony in a long discussion outside the Senate to keep him out of the way. The conspirators were well-coordinated; gathering immediately about Caesar as he sat in his curule chair, Tullius Cimber pretended to submit a petition. Suddenly Cimber grabbed Caesar's purple robe and wrenched it away from his neck; the signal for attack. Immediately Casca struck the first blow of the most famous assassination in history:

When he saw that he was beset on every side by drawn daggers, he muffled his head in his robe, and at the same time drew down its lap to his feet with his left hand, in order to fall more decently, with the lower part of his body also covered. And in this wise he was stabbed with three and twenty wounds, uttering not a word, but merely a groan at the first stroke, though some have written that when Marcus Brutus rushed at him, he said in Greek, 'You too, my child?'

"So it began, and those who were not in the conspiracy were so horrorstruck and amazed at what was being done that they were afraid to run away and afraid to come to Caesar's help; they were too afraid even to utter a word. But those who had come prepared for the murder all bared their daggers and hemmed Caesar in on every side. Whichever way he turned he met the blows of daggers and saw the cold steel aimed at his face and at his eyes. So he was driven this way and that, and like a wild beast in the toils, had to suffer from the hands of each of them; for it had been agreed that they must all take part in this sacrifice and all flesh themselves with his blood...Some say that Caesar fought back against all the rest, darting this way and that to avoid the blows and crying out for help, but when he saw that Brutus had drawn his dagger, he covered his head with his toga and sank down to the ground." Plutarch, Life, 66.

Caesar's bloodied body lay at the foot of Pompey's giant statue and bathed its base. The conspirators, shouting that they had freed Rome, raced towards the Forum, showing their bloody hands to the stunned populace. Antony, Lepidus, and the rest of the Senate, panic-stricken, were in hiding. The triumphant “liberators,” as even Cicero admitted, had no plans whatever about what to do with Rome, once Caesar was gone. Chaos appeared ready to engulf Rome.

"I Have Lived Long Enough"

Caesar is alleged to have said, in the year before his murder, "It is more important for Rome than for myself that I should survive. I have long been sated with power and glory; but, should anything happen to me, Rome will enjoy no peace. A new Civil War will break out under far worse conditions than the last" (Suetonius). His words were prophetic. Cicero quoted Caesar, in the Pro Marcello, as saying “Satis diu vel naturae vixi, vel gloriae” (I have lived long enough both in years and in accomplishment).
  5. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey guys, I just finished painting Caeser's horse, as soon as I get a chance I'll post some pictures for you to see.

Cheers
  6. nagashino New Member

Hello Roc

Glad I spotted this one

The face is looking very good my friend - lots of the character you would expect this guy to have. This is going to be one interesting SBS I think!

Thanks for posting, and best regards

Phil