1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Buying brushes online?

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade/Accessories' started by AlbertD, Oct 18, 2021.

1. AlbertD PlanetFigure Supporter

Now that I know I enjoy this hobby and will stick with it I'm looking at buying some better brushes. I want to get 2 or 3 Winsor & Newton Series 7 brushes. I have an art supply store in town that has them but they are way cheaper at places like Blick. Should I but them locally where I can look at a few and pick the best or is it OK to buy them sight unseen?

Also, am looking at getting a 0 a 1 and a 2 pointed rounds. Does that sound like a good start?

Thanks for any guidance.
  2. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

Look at Sabot miniatures and Michigan Toy Soldier Company.

Steve
    AlbertD likes this.
  3. AlbertD PlanetFigure Supporter

Tanks Steve, I will. I would like to support a company that supports our hobby.
    sd0324 likes this.
  4. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

I'd also like to add The Last Cavalry website as well. It's run by a really great figure painter, has tons of products and also informative how to things you may find useful. I agree with supporting these guys that support this narrow hobby of ours.

Steve
    theBaron and AlbertD like this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Albert

Some good suggestions if I might add Rosemary & Co series 33 and 22 kolinsky all handmade and much cheaper than W&N

Do a search here plenty of details

Happy brush buying

Nap
  6. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I second that. Here's the main URL to Dave's website: http://lastcavalry.com/

You can check out his YouTube channel, too. And if you get out to shows here in the US, you can meet Dave in person.

Prost!
    Brad
    AlbertD, sd0324 and Nap like this.
  7. AlbertD PlanetFigure Supporter

So far I have bought from Last Calvary (some paints) and Michigan Toy Soldier (a couple of books) and the service was excellent from both. On the first of the month I'll be getting my brushes and a new figure. I've been enjoying the old Verlinden busts I had in my desk drawer but am looking forward to trying one of the newer ones.
    Nap and sd0324 like this.
  8. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    If you're planning on going to MMSI this weekend, Dave will be there as a vendor. He may have some figures in the exhibition, too.

Prost!
    Brad
  9. PLG Well-Known Member

I totally agree with Nap - the best value brushes I have bought.

Peter
    AlbertD and Nap like this.
  10. AlbertD PlanetFigure Supporter

I ordered a few of Da Vinci brushes from Last Calvary a week or so ago and and looking forward to trying them. In the meantime I got a #0 and a #1 Windsor & Newton from my local art supply store. They were more expensive but not too bad. I will try the Rosemary & Co. next time for sure. As a matter of fact I'll order a couple right now.
    Nap likes this.
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Albert

Da Vinci are good and as you realise W & N are expensive !

If you order from Rosemary say you got details through PF links as they support FOTM

Happy brushing

Nap
    AlbertD likes this.
  12. Billy Dickinson PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hawk Miniatures Brushes are worth a look as well. Great brush at a great price.....

Billy
    Hawk_Uk and Nap like this.
  13. Airkid A Fixture

England

Yup - I second that. Bought some at Telford and they are very good.

Phil
    Hawk_Uk, Billy Dickinson and Nap like this.
  14. Hawk_Uk PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Bill, And Phil
    Thanks for the comments and hope you enjoy using the brushes. We really enjoyed our weekend in Telford.

Our full range of paintbrushes are available from our website with free postage

hawkminiatures.co.uk
    Nap likes this.
  15. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I find the Hawk flat brushes excellent for blending in small areas.

Alan
    Hawk_Uk likes this.
  16. AlbertD PlanetFigure Supporter

I finally got my Rosemary and Co. brushes and they sure do look nice. It took forever from Great Britain. Some sellers wouldn't sell them to a US buyer because of a law we have about importing fur. Sounds silly but whatever.
    Nap and Billy Dickinson like this.
  17. Peter R G Browne PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
  18. Nap Moderator

England

I have up to a 2 , the main one in use is a 1 , 0 for eyes

Short handles

They also do a Red Dot one ....worth getting for Basecoating

Nap
  19. Peter R G Browne PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
  20. Nap Moderator