1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Butler's Ranger

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ghamilt1, Jan 29, 2011.

1. ghamilt1 PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Just a quick post to share my latest work. Elite's 70mm Butler's Ranger, a classic. I can write more later, but I'm out the door for now. Comments and critiques always welcome.
    [IMG][IMG]

P.S. Noticed some glare on the photo, I can assure you that glare is NOT on the figure.

Attached Files:

2. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    I dig it Glenn! (y) What did you use for the birches in the groundwork ?
    Steve likes this.
  3. ghamilt1 PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Thanks Gordy. I got a hold of an old fashioned wicker/twig hand broom, and used some of those twigs, painted white and detailed in acrylic to turn them into birch trees.
  4. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
  5. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Glenn, great painting and nice work on the birch tree effect, the perfect setting for this classic.

Cheers Ken
  6. SRP Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Nice one Glenn....
    Steve
  7. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Glenn

Nice piece of painting there, it's always been a classic, the figure is beautifully sculpted and pushes you to paint it well. Taking a closer look, I would perhaps tone down the harsh edges of the stains on the trousers. Other than that, really nice work.

I would just like to add something though and this is nothing to do with the painter or the sculptor really, when you take a look at the placing of the left arm and the sash, they seem to hang backwards, rather than straight down, the figure naturally leans forward, so maybe the figure should be mounted walking up a slight incline.....?

As I said this is no reflection on your painting of the figure or the original sculpting

Dave
    rheath likes this.
  8. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    that is a nice looking figure, your choice to go with the birch backdrop was a good idea to bring the colours out on the figure, very nice result.

Steve
  9. Stephan PlanetFigure Supporter

Germany
    Like it very well
  10. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Cool! You should step by step that process for us some time :)
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very clean and precise painting Glenn.

marc
  12. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
    Painted this myself once, a lovely figure to paint, and you did a great job, Glenn, excellent paintwork, mate!
    Eddy
  13. ghamilt1 PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Steve, Stephen, Steve (1969), Marc, Ken, Micheal and Eddy; Thank you one and all for your kind words of encouragment. I really do appreciate it, especially in light of the fact that I can't take very satisfying pictures I think you are all very generous in your praise.

Thanks also Dave, I had a closer look at the figure and I can see what you mean. It does seem that it would benefit from being posed on an incline, especially when looking at the sash (I think you can argue that the arm could be in several different positions relative to where it is at the moment). Frankly I never really thought about it, as I stuck him on the kit provided base, which I incorporated into the ground work you see in the pictures. Still, this shows me I need to pay attention to ALL the details, so sincere thanks for taking a few moments to pass along that critique.

Thanks also Gordy, I'll consider doing that SBS once I finish up the figure I'm currently working on (another classic elite 70mm; the Prussian Hauptman from 1870).
  14. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    I like the piece very much Glenn, however I agree on the stains, a little bit of pastels or even MIG pigments would create subtle blend IMHO.
  15. ghamilt1 PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Thanks Rob; I agree that those stains could use a little toning down, but was a little puzzled on how to achieve it. Your tip wil work as I have a collection of chalk pastels that would do the trick.
  16. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Glenn,
    Nicely done and an excellent base.
    Cheers
    John
  17. ghamilt1 PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Thanks John, I am trying to put in a little more effort into my bases and ground work.
  18. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
  19. ghamilt1 PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Thanks Alexandros. I got the idea of the birch tree from my front yard, even though that tree is under about 4 feet of snow at the moment.