1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Bust viking stormtroopers

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by pinsel, Feb 14, 2011.

1. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello
    this impressive sculpt by Carl Reid is at moment on my table.i have done so far the face.i found it very hard to get an pleasing result,surely not because of the fine sculpt.its more the immensly beard which does not leave to much room for skintones.because iam not good i find it more easy if onme has more room to work on.thios room is very restricted so one must concentrate on very tiny fields with different shades and colouring.so i decided better to be bold than timid.so i opted for strong contarsting,which suited the manly apperance even better.because this chap is really an soldierly character.i think i saw once an scottisch soldier of the battle of the Alma.this has the same stance and the same looks.it might be that Mr Reid was inspired by this impreesive photo.after some fiddling it turned out not to bad for my taste,which is due the sculpt not the paint
    its simply an wonderfull bust.for me as bust lover an must
    cheers

Attached Files:

sarouman likes this.
  2. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    So far so good , I think the skin tone suits the weather beaten look !
    Well done
    Sam
  3. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    you're getting better. Very nice start.
  4. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello fellow painters
    well i get slowly along with acrylics.i do not miss the good pold enamel days with the vapours and the colourstenches.so i can paint in my living room,.listening to music.and not the slightest colour odour.
    an cheers to the inventory of this media.
    cheers
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Your start is good.
    But when I enlarge the picture's i see that your shades are stripes. You must fade them more out into the basic skintone. With acrylic you had to do some more passes with the base color over the shadows. ( i'm a oil man)
    Then it will look more natural.
  6. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello
    yes you are right the cheeks over the beard line are very deep i will try to wash it with lighter tone to make it more subtle.but the subtleness of the masters i will never get.
    thanks for your comment.hepls an lot
    cheers
  7. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Markus, I like what you've done so far and will follow progress.

Cheers Ken
  8. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice start. Like the weather beaten look very much.
  9. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello
    thanks for comments as the good tip.i did now repaint it and indeed its getting better the striped look is not so prominent it looks now quite ruddy and i like it better than before
    cheers

Attached Files:

sarouman, Tommi and gordy like this.
  10. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice colours to the skin (y)
  11. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    Marcus he is shaping up very good but the photos are kind of dark i think.
  12. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello
    yes i do not have different lamps to light him up from different sides.so its very difficult to light him up with only one lamp
    i had one but the cheap lamps did quitt working after some monts.
    cheers

Attached Files:

13. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Hi! Markus.
    The skin tone is wonderful.
    The mustache is also cool.
    I'm looking forward to completion.

Mitsutaka.
  14. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    Well i think the last pic is better and i see that the blending on the face is fine.
    gordy likes this.
  15. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    The blending is almost being there. I should do more washings with basecolor, untill the transition is very smooth.
    You are on the right track it and you definitely gonna bring out the character that Carl sculpted in it.

Marc
  16. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Marcus,

Good advice from Marc has resulted in a Marked improvement (excuse the pun!) I would lose the colour at the end of the nose, this would normally carry a strong highlight!? just a thought-thanks for sharing your progress with this.
    Keith
  17. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello
    no fear i am gratefull for the advice.iam not as good to go without.and here one sees what others oppinion and critics can do.one is often so grapped by the own stuff that one looses the clear view on it.you are right in an indoor fine gentleman i would use an lighter nosetip.on last busts i used the red tip and i like it,it give them more down to earth look not so clean more shabby and rough.i want depict an drunkyard and rough weatherbeathen character.the face is so wonderfull boozy sculpted.
    thanks all for your comments and open words as help.
    cheers
  18. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    HI Marcus, you are quite right the end of the nose would be red if he were a habitual boozer! Bloodshot glazed eyes as well possibly to add to the effect!?

Keith
  19. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello keith
    an masterly painter could add them but i am on the humble side.i think of the great eyeffects from gothikgeek
    i did always admire the talent of some people to paint eyes which seem to look at you,even in 1:10 or sometimes even under that scale..thats miles over my possibilities.
    so i stay with the nose
  20. sarouman A Fixture

Greece