1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Bust support: how to and should it be included in the kits

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Aveleira, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi,

I'm fairly new to painting busts and 2 of the 3 copies I own don't have a bust support.

I'm interested to hear how you deal with this and what do you use to support your busts.

Also, I would like to hear your opinion on this topic, specifically, should the brands include a bust support?

Regards
    Pedro
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Aveleira likes this.
  3. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ive always like to include a plinth with my sculpts as I feel it completes the bust - whether anyone chooses to use it is a personal decision(y)
    Helm, garyhiggins, winfield and 2 others like this.
  4. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Isn't a Busenhalter the best way to support a bust?

Prost!
    Brad
    Tom W., Huw63, housecarl and 9 others like this.
  5. Forté A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Depends on the bust design really. Young Miniatures also supply a support in their sets. Some are designed more to sit flat on a plinth too. It would also depend on what you mount on so sometimes a bit of brass rod or tube works better anyway.
    garyhiggins and napoleonpeart like this.
  6. Forté A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hahahahahahaha :')
  7. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
  8. Forté A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I'll be honest, I had to Google it.
    garyhiggins likes this.
  9. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Agreed!!! But I'm not talking about boobs so much as figures :p
    garyhiggins likes this.
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Brass rod into the bust, and this rod in a very nice base.
    My preference go to a small base with a angle on the top, something like this.
    Excellent-Hand-made-solid-olive-wood-base-for-_1.jpg

Marc
  11. Helm A Fixture

England
    Brass rod as a rule for me and one of Ron T's bases to set off my crap painting, so at least one bit of it looks professional :shifty:
    Steve
    stoffy01, peedee, garyhiggins and 2 others like this.
  12. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    What Marc (Megroot) said. Although depending on the piece, a flat-topped base can also work. For example with those half-figures (which aren't really busts at all) that are popular with some guys.

- Steve
    peedee and garyhiggins like this.
  13. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Thank you for you input guys! You gave me good tips ;)

The busts that I own are the Young Miniatures Waffens SS Machine Gunner in Ardennes 1944 - for support I used the bottom half of a bullet - and the other one, recently bought, is the Alexandros Red Baron. Both of these are half-figures, so I used flat-topped bases. But I struggle with the supports. Never know what to use or how to fix it.

I really think that the figures must come with a support. If we use it or not, it's our choice. Like the figures bring a base (which I rarely use) I think the busts should bring the support.

Regards
    Pedro
    peedee and garyhiggins like this.
  14. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    peedee and Aveleira like this.
  15. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    So, I assume that all this talk of brass rods really means an underwired bussenhalter ??? Go on Brad, give us some visual evidence PLLeeeeeaaasssssseeee :woot::woot::woot:.
    peedee likes this.
  16. Andrew Perren PlanetFigure Supporter

It's nice to have the option in the box, but for mine I have started using an 8mm clear acrylic rod. Tried the brass but it didn't do it for me, I think the clear section adds to the floating sensation of a bust.

SAM_1161.JPG SAM_1170.JPG SAM_1127.JPG
  17. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I use a brass rod. I also have a look on crafting/jewellery sites occasionally as they usually have interesting beads and trinkets that you can thread over the rod to add a bit more visual interest. I don't have any pics on my iPad to show what I mean but here's an example of a piece where I've used this approach:

http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/officer-72nd-highlanders-complete.76304/
    garyhiggins likes this.
  18. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    In my opinion whether a bust has a brass rod or a sculpted plinth, this should be provided in the kit. Then if you want to try something else, that's up to you.
    Now this ones been sorted, can we get back to being lewd about real busts :woot::woot::woot:............ It's our duty!!!

Regards, Gary.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  19. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

Well Mr H has spoken then !..lol

If anyone wants to talk to him he will be at Bugle Call ....beware though he will have a sculpting tool in hand!

Seriously I like the acrylic post Andrew uses ( nice painting mate) ....I am rubbish at drilling holes ..so I need the brass washer to cover up the edges!

Lots in beads and trinket shop as well ...I get strange looks though..lol

Happy mounting that bust .......

...Oooooo errrrrr vicar

Nap
    Andrew Perren, Forté and garyhiggins like this.
  20. tock24 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Wooden [lead] pencils work quite well. Easy to cut, and take glue very well. Also available in colours [gold & silver very useful] and at certain times of the year you can find 'pre-printed' pencils - Halloween, Christmas etc. Also check out the 'goody' bags put together for birthday parties - many different designs, so can be geared towards your latest masterpiece!

[IMG]

BR

Ian
    DaddyO, garyhiggins and Helm like this.