1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Business Break Bust Bonanza

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Lucas Ferron, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Lucas Ferron Active Member

Brazil
    Hello!
    I've been away in a hotel trip for the last few weeks and managed to sneak in a small painting kit: a 3d printed bust, the scale artist skin set, a black, a secondary blue and a random vallejo skin tone.
    kit.jpg
    I'm trying to practice 3 different things:
    1) painting a dark, black skin
    2) using underpainting to give tonal variation, gain speed and help visualize shapes
    3) blending it all without using an airbrush.

I apologize for the low pic quality, my phone + hotel lights + dumbass-me taking pictures is not a winning formula.

underpainting
    busto06.jpg busto08.jpg

where i'm at right now:
    busto09.jpg busto10.jpg busto11.jpg busto12.jpg busto13.jpg
  2. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Looking good Lucas! :)(y)

Cheers,
    Ken
    Lucas Ferron likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Lucas

Thanks for sharing this always good to see what colours are used and the SBS especially the under painting

This looks really good so line the skin tones you've achieved

Happy benchtime ..no matter where !

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  4. Lucas Ferron Active Member

Brazil
    I took a few minutes this afternoon and took some pictures under a different light condition.
    busto14.jpg busto15.jpg busto16.jpg

My initial reaction was to think I needed way stronger lights, but when i turn these to B&W I start feeling like i need to darken stuff more than highlight....
    bw1.jpg bw2.jpg bw3.jpg

Anyways, I do enjoy the current levels of variation in hue on the skin, but I certainly need to work on contrast and softening up some transitions...
    Landrotten Highlander and Nap like this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Lucas

Thanks for pictures interesting how it looks when B & W

Look forward to seeing this progress

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Lucas Ferron likes this.
  6. Lucas Ferron Active Member

Brazil
    I haven't had time to paint this last week, but i did manage to take a couple pictures under different lights.
    busto17.jpg busto18.jpg
    Nap, Landrotten Highlander and Osebor like this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Lucas

Good to see the piece under different lights , it's surprising how different things look

Thanks for the pictures

Happy benchtime when it's possible

Nap
    Lucas Ferron likes this.
  8. Lucas Ferron Active Member

Brazil
    I did go back to this piece, at last!
    I decided to try my hand at doing the 'sketch and refine' approach with the airbrush.
    I went for some more sketches:
    IMG_20210201_125042.jpg

And applied a general glaze using a reddish brown paint for this final result :
    IMG_20210201_131435~2.jpg

For a bonus Pic, I used a spare bust to practice my airbrushing skills and got to this part here:
    IMG_20210201_134722~2.jpg

Cheers!
    Ferris, Nap and Landrotten Highlander like this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Lucas

Love seeing your painting and the way you use resin to try things out and share results

Do you use mainly airbrush after you have sketched

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
    Lucas Ferron likes this.
  10. Lucas Ferron Active Member

Brazil
    Thanks Nap!
    I did use only the airbrush after sketching here.
    Ideally I want to use the airbrush to soften all transitions, but this needs to be done in a somewhat controlled way, by going with a midtone over the sharp transitions at the edges of the sketch.
    My current airbrushing skills are sub-par - and my airbrush is a cheap Chinese one - so I'm using those pieces to practice using the tool itself before I go all in with the technique.

BTW, this approach is often used by Sergio Calvo (with his 'capibases'), Trent Denison (like this one video ), Rafaelle Picca, etc.