1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Bull Allen

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by loosehead, Oct 5, 2010.

1. loosehead Active Member

Australia
    Gentlemen This is one of my latest all in oils with pastels,
    He is a Naked Army 1/6th (app 310 mm) scale of an Aussie called Bull Allen he was a medic in New Guinea this sculpt was taken from a famous photo of him carring down wounded American 12 in total
    Hope you like, can't tell you much more all my reference material has been misplaced (My wife's cleaning frenzy)
    Sorry photos not the best....
    Chris

Attached Files:

2. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Wow, beautiful skin tones mate. Nicely done.
  3. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    fantastic skin tones.
  4. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Skins are great (y) nice work on the mud too :)

1/6th scale wow!
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    G'day Chris,

I can help you with the reference material Bro.

Corporal Leslie "Bull" Allen was an Australian medic serving in New Guinea during WW2. He was awarded the Military Medal when he rescued five wounded men under heavy Japanese fire on Mt Tambu.

The man he's carrying over his shoulder is an American who'd been knocked unconcscious by a mortar round.

I had the pleasure of seeing this magnificent piece in person Chris, and as always your painting is excellent. I think you and Alan Mackie are the only people I know who are crazy/ brave enough to paint this awesome piece.

Attached Files:

6. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Ya Chris,
    here is aphoto I took of him at WASMEx the other week. Nice job by the way on a large 6th scale figure. You definately do them justice.
    Ben

Attached Files:

7. PHIL WALDEN Member

Mate,..good stuff, love the job you,ve done on bulls face..Allans uncle was only feet away watching Bull in action...again good stuff....

Phil..
  8. alamac Well-Known Member

Australia
    Chris
    Great job with the brushes mate, he is a beauty isn't he.Bull was a stretcher bearer with 2/5 battalion AIF he served in the middle east before being sent to New Guinea,He was awarded his MM at Crystal Creek earlier in the Wau/Salamaua campaign and was awarded the American Silver Star for his efforts carrying out 12 injured US soldiers under fire on Mt Tambu .
    Al
  9. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello
    very handsome.what me puzzled was the very reasonyble price of the products.for this size its very fair.
    cheers
  10. loosehead Active Member

Australia
    Thanks Fellas for the positive feedback he was a great figure to paint and yeah for the size very reasonably priced couple of months fun painting but the detail and quality of casting make it even better. Also guys thanks for the info fill in explains the figure a bit more...........
    Chris
  11. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello Chris,just talking to Phil on the phone tonight and he had told me about this little beauty.Fantastic piece of art mate,very realistic(y)

Regards,John
  12. nautilas Member

United-States
    Hi Chris that is one fantastic paint job, i have the Tobruk figure i am about to start and allready looking at getting another the sculpting is out of this world. Can i ask what oils you are using and is it over accrylic all the best Roy
  13. loosehead Active Member

Australia
    Hey Thanks John glad you like him...
    Roy , I use windsor and newton and Georgian, mainly I undercoat in humbrol just a couple of lite wash coats so as not to lose detail . Have also done the Tobruk figure these figures are great to paint and because of size you can go to the extreme on the weathering and faces look forward to you posting the big fella when you are done...........

Thanks
    Chris
  14. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Is there anyway of getting this in the UK?
  15. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent flesh tones, I like it a lot.
    Carl.
  16. loosehead Active Member

Australia
    Thanks Carl glad you like him
    Rob These guys are shipped all over the world , You can go to www.empirehobbies.com.au
    You can follow the link to the Naked Army website to view the range. Empire Hobbies is run by Ian ( Busso Boy ) on P/Figure great to deal with and a nice guy as well, his email is on the website as is his phone number.

Hope this helps
    Chris
  17. fanai Well-Known Member

Australia
    Chris mate that is one awesome figure - Phil said to go have a peek at him and I am Impressed -especially since I have seen the one Alan has painted - The colour on the arms look so so real mate - keep up the great work and thanks for the Talk at QHME

Ian
  18. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello Chris,
    A great job with the paint which compliments the sculpting.The tones look very authentic ,the whole thing tells the story.Well done.
    Andy
  19. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Mrs D isnt going to be happy I have found this!
  20. loosehead Active Member

Australia
    Sorry not replied for so long computer was virused andwell it happens
    Sure Mrs D will be ok with it as you will be busy for weeks and weeks....... which one do you like, and you better put it up on site when you are finished
    Have fun Bro
    Cheers
    Chris