1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Bulking Out Large Armatures

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by simon1969, Nov 24, 2003.

1. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hello all,

What would be a good material to bulk out a HUGE armature?
    I've got this (probably far too) ambitious plan in my head to build a dragon & rider in 90mm :eek:
    The plan formulating is to build the armature for the dragon as almost a full skeleton and bulk out the "thick bits" with something like DAS Pronto or similar (cos it's a lot cheaper than using 2 or 3 packs of milliput!) then cover & detail with Milliput.
    My worry though, is when I come to bake the first layer of Milliput, how's the clay gonna react? anybody have any experience with this?

Any feedback would be appreciated (even if it's "go away & bake the other half of that idea, you fool!!")

Cheers

Simon (probably biting off more than I can chew!)

(Don't expect to see any pics of this project for at least 4 months though! plus it's gonna take me about a year to complete if I'm lucky!!)
  2. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Simon,

You can make the main bulk from kitchen aluminium foil (Reynolds) rolled into a tight wad and flesh it out with a thick (1cm) 'skin' of Milliput.

At least it should work for the body. You can add up the appendices (limbs, head, tail,...) later on using the wire armature method.

Good luck! (y)

Quang
  3. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Quang,

What a Brilliant idea!!!!!
    I would never have thought of that in a million years!!!
    Thanks, I might even try that out tonight!!

Simon
  4. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Always go for the obvious.
  5. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Crayola makes a product Model Magic which is like none other i've ever seen.
    It's geared for kids, it has the consistency of very soft dough, softer than Playdoh. It's pourous with tiny pockets of air very much like the foam on tennis shoes. Air drys and is carvable sandable.. Very unique stuff.. It comes in a sealed foil pouch and no mixing necessary..

http://www.dickblick.com/zz332/14/products...am=0&ig_id=1990
  6. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Gordy
    I'll have a look for that, if nothing else, it should stop my kids pestering me for milliput or their mother for Fimo!!

Simon