1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Bugler Royal Marine Light Infantry 1914 From Cgs Military Figures

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Dec 2, 2012.

1. RossM Active Member

Australia
    Graham...Thanks for the reply. I do hope they come off with a saw. I also hope the piece sells well because as my wallet will attest to I was easily parted with cash for the piece.

Stu...I accept that they may not be 'stock' items. Nonetheless, there is a distinct style to Carl's ears which I don't think fully works here. However, as I did note that is easily solved and does not detract from what I consider to be an excellent piece. As to the comment concerning the casting blocks. I think we will have to agree to disagree. I think pointing out what may be a problem that detracts from the enjoyment of the bust is a perfectly valid criticism. However, Graham has offered a perfectly legitimate explanation that I accept and hope will not be the case with the general release pieces. I don't think, despite your intimation to the contrary, that I have offered undue critique. It has been caveated with praise for what I think is an excellent piece.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Brilliant piece.
    Carl.(y)
  3. Funky50 Guest

Just wanted to say that those casting blocks can be quickly removed if held in a small vice( or even mole grips) with a razor saw(or hack saw with fine blade) and then the residue either ground off or shaved of with a scalpel or stanley knife blade you don't really want to be grinding too much of that stuff if you can help it..... I actually prefer a bigger block so as to hold the piece whilst cutting... so you pays your money as they say...By the way its nice to see a new seller on the block and good luck with any future releases Gra30.....
  4. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Thanks all, I certainly wouldn't be where I am had it not been for the help and advice from Stu and Moz and Pete, I owe them a great deal for putting me on the right track :)) it has been a swift learning curve over the last 6 months.
    I should mention that Carl sculpted the hat without the cover intentionally and although I did know that it was a White cover, I had to go with one or the other.
    It can be White for summer wear as the original picture but yes to be absolutely correct a small amount of work may be needed to show that it is a cover if the preferred choice is the White version.
    Thank you all for the kind words and best wishes, my aim is to bring out nice figures :)
    Kind regards
    Graham
  5. Waterman Active Member

Cap covers white, went on at the 1st May, in the RM and RN, this was the start of Summer Routine. On the 1st October, Winter Routine commenced, ie cover removed to reveal the blue cap underneath. Later on two caps were issued, one made with a white top, and the other blue. This remained the norm until the 50s, when it was decided that a white cap would be worn at all times. In the 50s caps were being issued with the top made of canvas which was then blancoed white, HORRIBLE, but then they brought in a cap with a plastic top, which is still worn today. At the start of Winter Routine, RMs paraded in Greatcoats, never mind the weather, on the 1st May again forget the weather, Shirtsleeves was the Rig of the Day. Service in the tropics, then brought another set of Dress Regulations to the Fore. I hope this info just gives a little background interest to Carl's superb figure.
  6. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

1st october and 1st May if I remember correct Waterman. Thank you for the information and especially about the all white cap without cover.
    Best wishes
  7. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Blocks, earholes, cap cover!!...I think it's a brilliant piece,a real stunner and one of those " I must have it" and as far the lugholes go, they come in all different shapes and sizes in real life you only have to look around you next time you go shopping. I use to have a bloke who worked with me with one ear bigger then the other, the smaller one stuck to the side of his head whilst the bigger one stuck out at almost right angles.....He couldn't go out in high winds cos he used to spin round;)
    Cheers
    Jim
    stu and housecarl like this.
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful piece - can't wait to see it painted!

All the best,
    Dan
  9. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Hi Dan,
    MJ is working on it as we speak so expect to be posting shortly after Christmas/early New Year
    Merry Christmas to you all 