1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Bugler bust. 2nd Maryland 1864.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Uruk-Hai, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Hello Figureteers!

Heres my latest work. I have not been painting in a while and it shows. It is however my intention to paint more often to perform better.

This is the MIG 1/9 scale bust of a Confederate bugler. I have not done much on it, merely carved away the insignia, a digit, on the cap. Due to loosing the cord to decorate the horn, I made a new one with tazzels from cupperwire wich I braided. The internet is a good source to learn how to make different type of braids.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Basecolours have been added but no shading or highlighting yet. I use mostly Humbrols but also Printers Ink for some metallic effects and some artist oils as well as Vallejo Acrylic varnish. The hand with the trumpet is attached when bust is almost finished.

[IMG]

And heres the ready piece. I always find it difficult to paint brass. And the trumpet I had to repaint several times, and as time was running out it hasn’t got the smooth finnish I was striving for. This was however my first paint job in a long time so I will have to learn from this and practice more.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Thanks for looking.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
    Ferris, captnenglish, Steve and 4 others like this.
  2. Ross Singletary New Member

You pulled off the faded and worn pattern excellently, great job all around
  3. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Janne,
    Nice to see you back on the brushes, very nice finish.
    cheers
    Richie
  4. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great paint job especially the blanket - that tartan effect flows with the folds and looks natural (not an easy thing to do!).

-Rich
  5. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    A cracker of a job on this Janne. Great looking piece throughout with just the right amount of 'fading' and a blanket that looks as if it's actually been used.
    Really well presented, nice base and nameplate.
    Cheers
    Derek
  6. Magnus A Fixture

Great work Janne, really like it. The skin tones, the shirt, everything looks really good. Will you bring it to c4 this weekend so I can see it live?
    / Magnus
  7. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Thank you all for all kind comments.

Yes, this little fellow will follow me there. Me and Frank is going by airplane tomorrow around noon.
    See you there, what are you bringing?

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  8. swralph A Fixture

great model,really like the bugle
  9. Mark S Guest

Well done Janne!...Excellent result.I think the brass has come up well.
    The whole piece is great, I've got this one myself awaiting work.
  10. Helm A Fixture

England
    Very well done indeed the blanket is very nice indeed
    Steve
  11. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Janne, Great job on the old Nimix bust. I have long appreciated it. Enjoy seeing someone do it justice! Really like the paint job on the bedroll! Thanks for sharing.

All the Best, Terry Martin-Member of the Atlanta Miniature Figure Society
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    looking good. It is good to see your back on the brush.

marc
  13. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Thanks again fellows. I do must confess that the photos are a bit forgiving although not altered.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  14. plasticbattle Member

I would say its nice, but as I lost a bet on this, I know you´re gonna rub it in all weekend, so I wont say anything.
    I will however, take whatever credit is going, for you finishing a model again :)
  15. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Ahh, what makes you think that a short weekend would be enough? This is at least several months of taunting.:cautious:

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
    Wings5797 likes this.
  16. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

Nicely done Janne.
  17. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Very good work Janne.
    No skill with your brushes was lost in your time away.
    Well done.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  18. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Thank you, guys!

Spent the weekend at C4-Open in Malmö. Great weekend as ever, only second to international shows like Euro and Expo.
    Even though getting more and more attention from countries around. Radek Pituch where there for example and held a seminar about sculpting.

Got me a Silver for this little fellow.

Heres some pictures from the show.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.381268195337959.1073741831.157369931061121&type=1

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson