1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Budapest 1944

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by gforceman, May 11, 2006.

1. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi all,

For a private collector I have to paint a two figure vignette with Dragon figures. I re-engraved all detail, resculpted the fur in the hood and the scarf around his neck, used an Hornet head and replaced all equipment with Dragon Gen2 equipment (this is SO great!). All painting is done with acryllics, inks and Mig pigments.

All tips and comments are more then welcome.

Best wishes,

Gino

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. ArturM Well-Known Member

Poland
    Looks great, gino! Keep up the good work.

best regards
    Artur
  3. Excatlon Active Member

Poland
    looks great i like it :)
  4. Cicero New Member

Albania
    Hey Gino,

The wearing of the helmet is very lifelike. Like your fleshtones also. However, I do not know about the dirt on the coat, IMHO it is a bit overdone. This amount of dirt suggests that the trousers should be completely covered with mud.

Best regards

Johan ;)
  5. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the nicecomments.

Hoi Johan,

Well he isn't done yet, so he might be upto his knees in the slush ;) No, I like to make my figures dirty and if I'm not mistake weather was quit wet at the battle of Budapest and a lot of mud came into play also. BTW, where were you last tuesday?

Greetz,

Gino
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Gino,

When i saw this figure last thuesday at our clubmeeting i found it stunning. All the colours are so lifelike. Even the dirt was not overdone.
    I hope to see him finished last clubevening.

Well guys, the figure is better looking in real life then on this pictures.

Marc
  7. Rambler86 New Member

Hi Gino!

amazing work! I'd like to see more pictures of the entire vignette and detailed photos of the faces...

The effect of weatering on the helmet is fantastic! Did you use Vallejo acrilics or oils(like your past figures, if I right remeber? :lol: ) or what tecnique to achieve such a result?
    and what about mud? how do you create it? what are the best medium to paint it??

Compliments!
    Bye!
    Gabriele!

(y)
  8. jaime Member

Spain
    Hi Gino. Excellent work. I'm looking forward your next step.
  9. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hi Gino !
    BEAUTIFUL WORK my friend (y) (y) !!! The "mud" effect is especially "attractive" ;) . "MIG" pigments, I presume ? I'm looking forward to seeing how the figure finally turns out. Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  10. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Gino Hi !!!! this is a perfect looking figure my friend . Your flesh painting loos amazing , and since i amalso with the dirt schooll i likethe mud added. waiting to see it finished bt it will definately look awsome
  11. Marijn Van Gils New Member

Hello Gino!

Looking great so far! To me, the dirt looks really very good (the amount is up to the situation, and I'm quite convinced we modellers mostly under-weather our in-combat-figures), but I would not leave it only to the bottom edge of the coat, as this looks a little "mechanical". Try to also put the dirt all over the figure: elbows, cuffs, shoulders, and anywhere in-between that is visiually pleasing. When you're in the field forsome time, no spot on your body or clothes will stay really clean! Not every spot needs to be as thick as the bottom of the jacket, some dirty looking discolorations can be enough to give the effect. This would give great additional tonal variation to the figure, and tie everything together even better.

Can we have a close-up of his face?

Best wishes, and keep up the good work!

Marijn
  12. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi guys,

The mud is very simple.Just think outside the "figure painting box" and borrow some techniques from our Afv's friends. In this case I mixed Mig pigment Dark mud with Valejo Satin varnish and Dry mud with matt varnish. I applied these two seperately. By varying the ratio pigment/varnish you can create thicker/thinner mud, giving it a bit of texture. When this is dry I shade/highlight it with acrylics and even some inks (sepia and black).

Hoi Marijn,

I'll first finnish his sleeves (with the "heavy mud) and then go back to the whole jacket to apply some "light mud". This I will do with filters, so it looks more like a decolouration of the cloth and not a layer of mud on top of the cloth. Kind of hard to explain, but I'm sure you'll see it when finnished.

Best wishes,

Gino
  13. Cicero New Member

Albania
    Hi Gino,

Your method for applying mud to your figurines looks very interesting. Maybe you could give a little demonstration at one of our club evenings. I hope that family matters will not keep me from being there then as they did last Tuesday.

See you soon!

Johan ;)
  14. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi all,

My first figure for the Budapest vignette is ready. A short reminder: the figure is by Dragon with, of course, an Hornet head and Gen2 equipment. Painting was done with acrylics, inks and Migpigments.

I'm curious to hear what you guys and girls think of it.

Best wishes,

Gino

[IMG]

[IMG]
  15. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Gino - I've absolutely never seen better, more realistic fleshtones. The combat gear and the mud are awesome! I'd really love to see these figures come to the states at one of the shows.

All the best,
    Dan
  16. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi all,

Finally I've finnished this one.

The figures are from Dragon with Hornet heads. The small column is from Armand Bayardi, the oil drum from Resicast, the tiles and bricks from Verlinden and in the rubble there are also some papers from Dio Art. To give it some colour I used acrylics, inks and Mig pigments. The same pigments were mixed with Magic Sculp, and used to build the groundwork.

As always I would love to hear your comments, hints, tips, etc...

Greetz,

Gino

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  17. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great work Gino! Love the weathering and mud!

Jay H.
    OKC
  18. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Just one tip ; keep on painting germans !!!!
    You're waisting time with russians and children ;)
  19. bosko b Member

Gino, great work!

I particularly like the pale facial tones, very well executed.

Best regards,

Luka
  20. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Awesome work Gino,

It is a pitty that i didn't make it this evening to the club to see it in life.
    maybe next. time....

Marc