1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Bucktails

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by MikkoH, Mar 21, 2006.

1. MikkoH Member

Finland
    I have a question. Where was deer tail fastened on "Bucktails" kepis, on side or on back?

Cheers Mikko
  2. Mikey New Member

Hey Mikko:
    To answer your question: The bucktail was fastened to the soldier's kepi.

Mike Massaro :)
  3. Mikey New Member

Mikko:
    The bucktail was usually fastened to the side of the kepi. Sorry I misread your question. :lol:

Mike Massaro
  4. major New Member

United-States
    Mikko:

The Bucktail was fastend on the left side of the kepi. The tip of the Bucktail comes to the front center of the kepi. one Ref. Osprey Men-At-Arns Series No.38 Army of the Potomac

Larry
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Mikko, Here are three examples. These images illustrate the typical arrangement of the "bucktail" on the forage cap/ kepi.

The first image is Col. Langhorne Wiser, 150th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. Notice his bucktail is pinned to the front or left front of his cap.
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Robert B. Valentine, Company B, 42nd Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, 13th Pennsylvania Reserves. Notice the end of Valentine's bucktail starts at the center of his cap.
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Unidentified Bucktail Notice that his bucktail covers the front of his cap. Though most are positioned on the side of the cap, there are a few that are positioned across the front as well.

I hope these prove to be of some help.~Gary
  8. MikkoH Member

Finland
    Thank you Mike, Larry and Gary! I knew I can count on you! :) So there seems to be variations in theme and possibility to get excited. :lol: Ecspecially thanks Gary to you, very good ref pics! I'm doing dragon 1/32 union infantry and want to do something different. It's pity that those weapons don't fit em and I have to make those from scratch. :(

Cheers Mikko
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Mikko, You might want to consider buying some weapons from Shenandoah Miniatures. The casting is not the best, but they will be a better match than the kit weapons.~Gary
  10. MikkoH Member

Finland
    Yes I know there are commerical options to weapons, but not in here up north. And you need some kind of payable plastic card if you wan't to order em via net, and I do't have. :( But have to think positively, I don't have problems how to spend my leisure time. :lol:

Cheers Mikko
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Mikko, Why not use an international money order? Military Miniature Warehouse and Colorado Miniatures carry the Shenandoah line.~Gary
  12. MikkoH Member

Finland
    Hmm.. Didn't come to my mind that option. Have to go to my bank and ask how it works. Anybody else makes CW weapons that shenandoah? How about that your made lorenzo? Is somebody make casting abt that?

Cheers Mikko