1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Brushes

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade/Accessories' started by HansDig, Mar 21, 2020.

1. HansDig A Fixture

Netherlands
    Okay......I clean my brushes with cvlear waoter and ( broken toad ) soap and every once in a whle I soak them in W&N Brush Cleaner, even use some Abt 502 Magic Gel and still.....deterioration is a fact.
    Must be the brushes..... I don't mind spending money but ;
    - What would be the best brand or.....
    - What am I doing wrong in the cleaning proces.......
  2. Banjer Well-Known Member

England
    All brushes deteriorate, some quicker than others. If they didn't we would buy a set and never have to buy another. W and N series 7 is the best but not as good as they used to be. I now just use them for fine detail and use Pro Arte connoisseur for blocking in areas of colour. They don't last forever but they are cheap as chips. I find acrylics a lot harder on brushes than oils.

Bill
    DaddyO likes this.
  3. hypertex Active Member

United-States
    W&N brush cleaner is meant for brushes that have dry paint in them (read the label). It's pretty harsh stuff. If you don't see dry paint in your brush, you don't need W&N brush cleaner. It may not be the cause of your problem, but it's good advice nonetheless. For general paint work (base coat, blocking), I use good quality synthetic brushes by Raphael. They are half the price of series 7 and last a long time. I save my series 7 for fine detail work or glazes.
    Ned Ricks and HansDig like this.
  4. HansDig A Fixture

Netherlands
    Raphael sounds good. I'll look them up.
    Nap likes this.