1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Brush Recommendations

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Larsen E. Whipsnade, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    I need to upgrade my brushes, I'm currently using el cheapo brushes that hold a point for at least the first stroke and then good luck. I've been able to make do but it's time to look for something better.

I know Winsor Newton Series 7 brushes are excellent and used by many of you but I'm hoping to find good quality brushes that hold a point but aren't quite so pricey (I'd rather spend my money on things to paint).

Any suggestions or recommendations for good alternatives to Winsor Newton Series 7 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Rick
    callmehobbes likes this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Rick

Have a look at series 33 and 22 from "Rosemary's Brushes" .......very good quality and Kolinsky

Excellent service both shipping worldwide and customer service and a good price

https://www.rosemaryandco.com/

Of course there are others available !

Happy brushing

Nap
    dmcHobbes and callmehobbes like this.
  3. Kimmo A Fixture

Second the Rosemarys. Have a look at their spotters, series 93 and 323. I have the 93s and they are great for blocking in volumes, shading and edging. Another good place to browse is Jacksonart.com Their house brand is pretty good, prices are spot on, and they usually have sales going on as well with other brands.

Kimmo
  4. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    I use mainly Raphael 8404, but probably will try also DaVinci series 10 next time.

I buy from Jacksonsart, very good selection of Kolinsky brushes and the shipping cost for brushes is outrageously low :D (I bought two Raphael recently with 0.11GBP shipping, arrived for a week).
    They make sales from time to time, so you can buy the brushes cheaper:
    https://www.jacksonsart.com/brushes/brushes/brushes-for-watercolour
    callmehobbes and Nap like this.
  5. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    Don’t cheap out on brushes...aside from Winsor, Broken Toad has wonderful brushes; Artis Opus..buy a couple and see what you think..avoid the offerings under hobby labels ala AK, Ammo except for their synthetics - cheap synthetics have a use in the quiver..for all the advice- and you will get loads - it will come down to how they feel in your hand, where you hold the brush ..avoid tiny sizes that can’t hold paint without drying on tip. For good/not pricey I like roublef..I think in UK Jackson’s has them..but start with couple from different brands and see what you like..it’s also not unusual to respire a small trim before using if stay bits are broken over in the packaging..wash before using- they all some with a nice coating that makes em look nice ..lots of names out there..often made by same firms under different labels- Squidmar/Emile has his made for him..in North America- monument hobbies has some decent ones..army painter has entry level stuff and some nice dry brushes. Citadel are pricey..the AK are plain. Evil..but that just my experience
  6. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Thank you, Nap, Kimmo, Venko and Grasshopper. I shall check everything out as you all suggest. I am tired of brushes that don't hold a point.
    Nap likes this.
  7. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Has anyone purchased from a company called atartslondon in the UK? They're offering a set of 4 Winsor Newton Series 7 brushes for US$79.95 with free shipping to the US. Looks like a really good deal compared to others. Too good? Thanks.
    Rick
    Floki likes this.
  8. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    Well..you figure it out!
  9. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    We can’t get Winsor in Canada...I buy from PK in Germany. And broken toad from their site, or from Mr less. Check mich toy. Check monument hobby
  10. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    I second the use of Kolinsky, Rosemary and Da Vinci, have used all of them. If you want something bespoke then contact David Jackson in the UK on DavidTheBrushman@hotmail.com. He manufactures the brushes himself and they're not as expensive as you might think. Plus they are high quality and very durable.
  11. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Have a look at Dave Youngquist's Last Cavalry shop, too, Rick. Dave's website is http://lastcavalry.com/
    I've got Windsor & Newtons, too (which I got from Dave), and I've got some odd brands, like one from Escocia, a Reserva, that I've picked up at independent shops in my travels.

Prost!
    Brad
  12. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    He’s in USA
  13. theBaron A Fixture

United-States

We can still buy from abroad, though ;)

Prost!
    Brad
  14. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    Of course, but local can be faster and often cheaper..doh
  15. theBaron A Fixture

United-States

Well, that's why my first suggestion to anyone here in the US, looking to buy kits or supplies, is Last Cavalry. But I hope no one would see my suggestions and get discouraged from making his own.

Prost!
    Brad
    dmcHobbes likes this.
  16. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Thanks to all of you for taking the time to help. It is greatly appreciated.
    Rick
  17. Moonraker Active Member

England
    I’ve also used most of these. I would say for small spotters Rosemary and Co series 33, as recommended by Nap are a good mid price. However, I’ve found that size two and above sometimes struggle to hold a point in use, and that the brush belly doesn’t hold that much paint compared to the top flight stuff. They last for at last a year even when painting every day. Some of mine are three years old and still in use.
    The best I’ve used that suit my painting are Raphael 8404. I find them better to use than Windsor series sevens.
    However, unless you are very secure in your brush cleaning regime I would stick with Rosemary for now. They’ll still feel like a complete revelation compared to cheap no namers and are not that dear if you stuff one up. You can move up further next time you buy. Get some Masters brush cleaner as well if you don’t have any. It’s essential!
  18. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    Who is? David Jackson? I have his card, his address is in Leek in Staffordshire.
  19. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Moonraker, thanks for the tip about Masters brush cleaner.
    Rick
    Moonraker likes this.
  20. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    I ordered from him and he is in the UK. Good brushes too.
    Cheers
    Chris