1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Brush Question for our Russian friends

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by gerryj199, Jan 13, 2021.

1. gerryj199 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hi,
    I'm wondering if any of our Russian members can tell me anything about the brush in the attached photo. I'm wondering what the name is (in latin script rather than cyrillic) and where I might be able to get some of these brushes to try.

Can anyone help?
    Thanks,
    Gerry

Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 3.14.45 PM.png
  2. Fantomas A Fixture

Canada
    Hello Gerry,
    It says Fine Art. Can you take another photo of the whole handle?
    Alex
    Oda likes this.
  3. gerryj199 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Hi Alex,
    Thank you for the translation. Unfortunately, that's the best shot I can get. It's a screen capture from a video tutorial of Kirill Kanaev painting the Young Miniatures Shield Maiden bust. He shows the brush and mentions that he likes the stiffness of it for the stippling technique. They are apparently pretty cheap Russian brushes but he says that they retain a great point and have good stiffness.

If all it says is "Fine Art" then this is unlikely to be very helpful in finding out the brand sadly.
    Best
    Gerry
  4. Fantomas A Fixture

Canada
    Oda likes this.
  5. gerryj199 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Thank you Alex,
    I'll take a look and try them out.
    Maybe using these will magically enable me to paint like Kirill! ;) But then again, maybe not!
    Best regards,
    Gerry

PS: I'm really looking forward to finding the full "Angel of Death" vignette in your online store soon. It is absolutely amazing.
  6. rjray Member

United-States
    Oooh! A new supplier to bookmark!
    Nap likes this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
  8. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Gerry. There is a sperate thread on here regarding these brushes.
    I have switched to them for oil painting and they are superb. Amazon sell them but they are a mid range price.

Keith
  9. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    Roubloff Kolinsky..excellent and good value..I get them from Rusart in Vancouver...also recommended by Dmitry ...DO NOT try AK kolinsky..they are crap with long thin bristles that neother hold acrylic nor are stiff enough for oils..their cheap artificial ones are fine for oils and some base coats tho..
  10. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    I don’t know of any US sources..Jackson in UK likely does as they all so carry Masterclass oils- shown in the book ..again Rusart.ca might be a faster route- Elena Perelman is very responsive. Will be right onto it
  11. gerryj199 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I used the link provided by Alex in the post above and it was easy. Hopefully, delivery won't take too long.
    Gerry
    grasshopper likes this.
  12. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    Let folks know what you think when they arrive, and the service
    gerryj199 likes this.
  13. gerryj199 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Will post here when I've received & tried them. :)
    Nap likes this.
  14. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Nap likes this.
  15. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    I know..I’ve used them quite happily from time Dmitry recommended them. They work well with oils
    Chrisr likes this.
  16. gerryj199 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    An initial update: They have just arrived from Russia. The order was placed on the 14th and the brushes arrived on the 22nd by UPS. I think that this is amazing service in the current situation. (I chose to pay extra for UPS because USPS simply isn't functioning right now.)

My initial inspection was very positive as all the brushes had an excellent point. I'll update my experience once I've used them for a couple of weeks.
    Gerry
    grasshopper and Nap like this.
  17. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    Mine are same in terms of point...which holds in my work..not as big in body as broken toad, but nothing bad..couriers are worth it for me as well