1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"Brothers In Arms, Korea 1950" - WIP

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Dec 13, 2008.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Costas, Ben and Marcel,

Thanks guys, I always appreciate your generous comments.;)

Here are the latest pics. :D I've shaded and highlighted the boots and hair and done numerous washes over the green uniforms to blend the highlights into the base colour, and try to darken the overall colour. I've also done a bit of work on the base.

Comments/ criticisms welcome.

Attached Files:

2. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    looking great Tony

nicely done.

In the original photo, never tumbled to the fact there was a medic doing paperwork. Just a figure in the background, is all I thought.

progressing very nicely.

cheers
  3. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Tony,
    Looking very good so far.
    Cheers
    John
  4. busso_boy New Member

Australia
    looking awesome as usual.

i thought you had this kit earmarked for a conversion to a WW1 scene?
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Jamie, John and Ian,

Thanks for your comments guys.

Ian, I did toy with the idea of converting this vignette into WW1 Anzac's until I saw the photo that inspired it. Once I realised that it was based on an actual scene from the Korean War, I changed my mind and decided to do it as close to the photo as I could.

I'm also struggling to work out how I can convert resin figures using Super Sculpey. I've heard that repeatedly baking resin in the oven can make it very brittle and can burn the resin.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear from you.
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Tony - Marvelous work! Wow!

All the best,
    Dan
  7. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Dan,

It's always pleasing to get your feedback mate. I'm getting myself "in the zone" to paint MBF for you in the new year.
  8. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    gotta say your rendition of this piece has made it for me!

i'd seen it on their site in primer grey and was very unimpressed......

needless to say it is now on my wish list, superb work and thanks for sharing

mark
  9. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Mark,

The B/W photos of this kit were taken by the late great Roy Hunt.

None of the Classicae kits I've seen have colour photos of the painted kit on the box. This may be one reason why these outstanding sculpts didn't sell as well as they should have.

Now that Classicae are defunct, you'll need to contact the sculptor Mark Ricketts, if you want to buy one.
  10. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tony

Well done on the painting, I have to admit after seeing this piece before it went into production, I was sceptical on the size and its selling ability, for me its not detailed enough, but really it doesn’t have to be its portraying a message and does it very well, well done on what you have done so far.

Dave
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for your comments mate. I have to agree with you about the lack of detail on the figures, however this is a direct reflection of the simplicity of the details in the photo on which the figures are based. The lack of detail in the uniforms focusses your attention on the emotions of the two men and hopefully gets you thinking about the consequences and emotions of war.
  12. Anonymous1 New Member

Denmark
    Hi Tony, thanks for leading the attention to this figure, I've noticed it a long time ago, a really master sculpt, tell me is it a one casting piece?
    The quality in this figure isent in my eyes, on the lack of details or colour, but on the human, emotional side of war, so perfectly caught by the sculptor. As I have stated earlier, I paint flats, and have done so for 10 years, but I can still see, when a figure has “some special appeal“ which this one shurely have on me, we modellers tend to focus on brave men in shiny colourfull uniforms, charging at full gallop, when in fact, theres another side to this “bravery“ as the late, very talented Roy hunt showed, in some of his later work, we do miss you, Roy

Kindest regards

Kjeld Buchholtz
  13. marc New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tony
    Looks great! [saw your other thread too]
    Hope painting all those acres of green fabric did not grind you down, hehe.

As has been mentioned the piece was never intended as a super detail scale model but as an impression intended to capture the emotional content above the technical.
    Such apparent simplicity places a great challenge on the painters shoulders [and the sculptors..] as the absence of detail means everything is focused on bringing out the essence of the characters humanity.

The piece is still available from my site:

http://www.marc42.co.uk/m42_gallery.../Compassion/Figurative gallery_compassion.htm

Mark
  14. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mark

I am glad you got the master back, on this one, as for some of the others, well only time will tell....

Dave
  15. marc New Member

United-Kingdom
    Well, I don't own the master,But I can manufacture them under licence.