"Brothers In Arms, Korea 1950" - WIP

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Dec 13, 2008.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Planeteers,

Here are the first WIP pics of my latest project, "Brothers in Arms, Korea 1950" in 1/9th scale.

This beautiful and poignant vignette was sculpted by Mark Ricketts for Classicae and is a near-perfect representation of a famous photograph taken by SFC Al Chang on August 28, 1950 near Naktong in South Korea.

In my humble opinion, this is one of the most honest and moving pieces of military miniature sculpting I've ever seen:D:D:D.

The attached photo shows a US Army soldier comforting one of his comrades who' greiving the recent death of his best friend. Although you can't see the dead soldier in the photo, you can sense his buddy's pain and loss and the compassion shown to him by his "brother in arms". By contrast, you can see an Army Corpsman coldly and methodically filling in the casualty report card just a few feet behind these two grieving men.

The paint job is still pretty rough at this stage. I'm just blocking in the shadows and highlights without much blending. I'm just trying to make sure I have shadows and highlights where they need to be. The boots haven't been shadowed or highlighted yet.

The focal point for this vignette is the face of the soldier with his arms around his friend (whose face is buried in his buddy's shirt). I haven't finished painting the face yet and none of the pieces have been glued together yet.

I hope you like it.;)

Attached Files:

2. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    Great start Tony ,the face is painted with a lot of character, I like it.

Cheers
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Looks good so far Tony. I'm anxious to see how yours turns out. I have one in the gray army but just haven't got to it yet.
  4. TURKOGLU Active Member

Turkey
    Super start Tony.
    Cheers.

Metin
  5. specmod Active Member

Australia
    Looking really nice so far, will be keeping an eye on this one.
    Cheers Andrew
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Outstanding Tony! What a depth of expression that face has!

All the best,
    Dan
  7. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thank you for your comments Ubi, Guy, Metin, Andrew and Dan.
  8. Instructorrob Active Member

Netherlands
    Nice start Tony.
    Some people I know would call it "almost finished":)

The expression of the face is really well captured. And, like you said, a very moving piece indeed.

Robert
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Good work Tony,
    I looking forward to your next step

Marc
  10. Mark S Guest

Great start,Tony.
    It's a stunning piece depicting a war that seemingly never existed.
    Or police action that never happened!
    Looking forward to the finished piece.
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Robert, Marc & Mark,

Yes, it's a very moving scene from a very "hot" war (or Police Action) during the Cold War, that seems to have slipped through the cracks of history.

It was also a unique war that so many national forces came together to fight in it.

Troops from Greece, Turkey, Britain, Belgium, Colombia, Denmark, Italy, Ethiopia, France, India, Luxembourg, Phillipines, New Zealand, Sweden, United States, Thailand, South Africa, Norway, The Netherlands, Canada and Australia fought under the banner of the United Nations alongside South Korean forces against North Korean, Chinese and Soviet Russian forces.

Technically North and South Korea are still at war with each other. Although they agreed to a cessation of hostilities over 50 years ago, neither side has surrendered and neither side has withdrawn its forces from the DMZ which separates the two Koreas.
  12. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Looking great so far Tony , really like the emotion in the faces.

David
  13. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hello Tony

Looks great.
    Keep us updated!

Regards From Portugal
    Pedro
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks David & Pedro,

I'll be posting some more pics soon.
  15. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Great start!!!!
    The setting of a figure is impressive.
    I'm looking forward to completion of your work!!
  16. Ixian New Member

Australia
    Hi Tony,

Looking very good! Anxiously waiting its completion to see how you're gonna tie down the green on the uniforms with the groundwork. Awesome job, keep posting!

Cheers
    Dickson
  17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    HiMitsutaka and Dickson,

Thank you for your comments guys.

Dickson, I intend to tie the figures to the groundwork by applying pastel washes over those parts of the uniform in contact with the ground (knees, elbows, bum). I'm also considering a washing a deeper shade of green over the uniforms, as the colour I've chosen (USA Uniform) seems a bit too yellow. I'll also add some mud and dirt splashes on the legs tofurther tie the clothing to the groundwork.
  18. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Nice work on a big piece. I dont know if ihad the courage to start 2 of this size at the same moment !!!
  19. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi there Tony,
    Looks as tough you are starting another of your masterpieces. Love what you have done so far. I'm interested in what you do with this kit as I have often looked at it but never bought it as I didn't know that there was a picture associated with it. It gives it so much more meaning.
    Look forward to your next step.
    Ben
  20. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    The figures look great already, looking forward to your next step!

Cheers,
    Marcel.