1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

British soldier-Northern Ireland

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by lock-n-load, Feb 21, 2009.

1. lock-n-load Active Member

United-States
    Hello all:
    I am looking for some painting advice and assistance for the following figure. The first scan shows the 120mm British Infantryman 1980’s, in 120mm resin, formerly produced by M. Corry. (Please, no Corry bashing today-I got burned on E-bay, too!). The kit I purchased does not come with color references of any kind. I recognize the jacket as being the DPM pattern, but what color would the vest and his trousers be? I am hesitant to be convinced that an image from a black and white photo, reproduced in a color plate, then published as being 100% accurate. And now you all are looking at an additional scan of the same image.

I located the 2nd scan in “Modern Combat Uniforms” by Mark Lloyd. This photo is obviously the inspiration for this sculpt. He is indicated as being a Royal Welch Fusilier in North Belfast. The third color scan shows a very similar figure, but he is marked as being a paratrooper, stationed in Londonderry. This scan is from “Modern Military Uniforms” by Chris McNab.

My questions are: how accurate are the colors? If I wanted to depict the original-the Fusilier-what color is his beret and what does the insignia on his beret depict? If I wanted to make him actually a paratrooper, is the kit and gear accurate? I imagine I would also need to make his beret insignia that of the paras, too. And additionally, if I wanted this figure to represent a trooper from the UDF, what would be different-other than a black beret and the harp and crown insignia.

Also, given that these troopers don’t appear to take part in lengthy maneuvers, are they basically “garrison” troops on patrol? No offense-as I know their situation could be nasty-given the nature of their duties and patrols-but I get the impression that they were “out and back” each day. Is this true? Would their boots be shined daily? Would their uniform show less wear and tear? What color would the riot helmet be, if chose to scrap the beret issue all together? Would a para wear the helmet as needed, too?

Anyone who can offer any assistance and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
    Mike
  2. lock-n-load Active Member

United-States
    OK, here are the scans....

Attached Files:

3. lock-n-load Active Member

United-States
    Sorry, I am having a hard time with these scans...Give me a few moments....
  4. lock-n-load Active Member

United-States
    here we try again...

Attached Files:

5. Maki Active Member

Croatia
    I also got burned by Maurice just because I wanted to get this figure from eBay. How do you like it? How's the casting? I presume you got it on eBay.uk from that Andrew character?

As for the figure; I don't know much about berets, but judging from the picture I think this could be the riot helmet:

[IMG]

[IMG]

As for the trousers; I have seen both scans and it is obvious the trousers are greenish color, but I'm interested if they could be issued (and painted) in DPM?

Mario
  6. Steve H Member

British Soldier Northern Ireland

Hi Mike, I've attatched a couple of pics of myself from 1979 (ignore the gormless expression!) So the colours you have for reference are pretty close to correct. All different troops and units were sent to Northern Ireland for short, 6 month tours from a permanant base, or units were sent en masse as it were for longer 18 to 24 month postings. When I went I was actually based in Germany as part of the 2nd armoured division (Obviously during the cold war).

The majority of patrols were "out and back" but some could take days and take the form of OP's, ambushes etc. Especially in the more rural areas. As for boots, I never met a Sgt Major that let anyone get away with not polishing them!!Although not to parade standard.

The Fusilier beret would be Black like mine in the pic. The helmets were mainly used during riots etc and when patrolling in vehicles. I'm pretty sure the Paras wore the same as everyone else. Except for their "wings" on the jackets of course. Just as a point of interest, my regiment was one of the first to start urban foot patrols without Flak Jackets. It was to make us look less "threatening and agressive" I think that was the wording at the time! It took a while not to feel naked for the first few patrols..

Anyway, hope this helps. By the way, any ideas where I can get one of these kits? Its fantastic.

Cheers

Steve H

Attached Files:

7. Steve H Member

8. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Michael, if you are going to change the figure to a Para you will need to change the look of the DPM combat jacket. The para's always wore smocks so the sleeve cuffs would need changing to the correct style. Although the colour image you have shows a para wearing a standard issue combat jacket i never saw any para wearing one of those in the time i spent on tour.(4 tours altogether over most of the province, mix between short and long 2year tours)
    The lightwieght trousers are also an issue item and the colour of the green is good but did vary from dark to light green depending on how often they were used. They did tend to fade quickly in the wash. At the start of the 80's regiments were banned from wearing them on patrol as it was deemed that they were not suitable when petrol bombs were on the go and that the standard issue combat trousers (DPM) were to be worn instead. Didnt make any difference. So the trousers on the kit will need to be green as the style between them and the combat trousers are different.
    Hope this helps in some way. If i can get any pics for you i wll put them up.
    Barrie.
  9. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Michael, here is the kit photo of the Firingline 120mm figure. Has a choice of 3 heads but has the old style DMS boots with puttees. Firingline also do a 120mm para for Northern Ireland. The colour of the trousers in the pic is pretty much spot on.
    Barrie.

Attached Files:

10. lock-n-load Active Member

United-States
    Thanks to everyone for the information. It will all be helpful with the completion of this kit. I did buy this kit on E-bay, from A-Punshon1979 (http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/a-punshon1979_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ). If he does not have one offered now, check back and I am sure he will. or maybe inquiry directly...The casting is not a clean as the original Corry kits, this one has some small pinholes, and the area between his legs is "thick". But nothing that can't be remedied. The heads/faces are nice, and the SLR is decent, albeit with a slightly bent barrel. Again, nothing that cannot be fixed. Thanks again to all for the assistance and taking the time to help me out.
    Cheers,
    Mike
  11. Jimmy S Well-Known Member

Australia
    Para N Ireland

Just got back on the net and offer this into the thread. One of my earlier efforts, aided in the painting of the distinctive smock by actually having one in the cupboard. I can get you photos (front and back) if you are interested.

Attached Files:

12. lock-n-load Active Member

United-States
    Sure, I would be glad to get any additional reference material I can find...
    Thanks!
  13. Jimmy S Well-Known Member

Australia
    No problems send me a PM and I'll get the photos to you.