1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

British Soldier Northern Ireland 1980-ish

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Jimbo, Mar 19, 2013.

1. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Jim, ref. the point raised by kev regarding the size of the hackle I have a 1980's Black Watch hackle at home. If you would like I can photograph it from various angles alongside a ruler or if you would like it post it to you.
    I'm at sea for another week or so but can do it when I get home.

Roger.
  2. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks for the photo Gells, that'll come in useful as it looks like I'm going to have to do something with these arms if possible
    Cheers(y)
    Jim
  3. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    It's okay Roger I've got that sussed out now but thanks for the offer.
    Cheers
    Jim
  4. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Jim great work in adding the legs looks a natural and well balanced pose. Following. (y)

Cheers Ken
  5. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Ken, it's been bit of a bugger but I'm getting there with him, but looks like I need to look at the arms?(y)
    Cheers
    Jim
  6. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Kev, thanks for the info on the hackle, it was just stuck on roughly but I'll take a little off the bottom of it.
    Cheers
    Jim
  7. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Okay doke, if you change your mind for whatever reason the offer is still there. Nice work so far.

Roger.
  8. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi Jim, can I just stick my tuppence in? The Black Watch didn't wear a cap badge with the TOS just a hackle and their TOS was a different shape to everyone else. In the Osprey british equipment 1908-2008 there is an illustration of a Black Watch soldier with their distinctive headdress. If you don't have it give me a shout and I'll send you a photo of it. these might help with the Glengarry, the back is lower than the front.
    All the best with the rest mate. Glengarry.jpg jock NI.jpg
    Mike S. likes this.
  9. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Hello Scotty,
    Superb, I'll be making good use of the photos, yes can you please send me a photo of the Black Watch headgear, much appreciated mate.
    Cheers
    Jim
  10. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Okay then you B**gers!;) I 've chopped up the arms and the left hand to try & adopt a more convincing pose for this guy with his SLR, so after much cursing, swearing and spitting of blood! this is what I've come up with, I don't think I'll be able to alter anything else more, but that's part of the difficulty of trying to change a bust to a leaning over kneeling pose, so I reckon this is how it's going to have to be, just got to start the repair work now, I appreciate all your comments and photos guys you've been a great help.
    Cheers
    Jim(y)

Attached Files:

11. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    OK, I'm not sure what a B**ger! is, but I think it looks much better. If possible, I would bring the left elbow in toward the body more, since he will be leaning up against a wall a bit and likely his shoulder would be making contact with it. But its a big improvement already. Well done B**ger!:LOL:
  12. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Hi Jim
    Just one point, hope taken in the right way,the joint from pelvis to knee (s) looks a little long. It may be they need bulking, If bulked and with the more gathering at joints they may not look as long.
    With the gathering and bend at the joints it's a tricky one I know as just finished some kneeling myself.
    He is also leaning into the knee, not sure how to explain in words and probably easier to see what I mean.
    Sorry for last minute, but you did ask and I am no expert.
    To me it is knee brought slightly back and calf ,knee to boot extended possibly, left buttock area coming forward with the leg.
    Always liked this bust
    Best wishes to you
    Gra
    Jimbo likes this.
  13. Helm A Fixture

England
    Probably not a good time to say I liked the old one then :LOL:

Steve
    Funky50 likes this.
  14. moz A Fixture

England
    I dont think the arms have been assembled as i first intended but there is also some definite shrinkage on the butt of the slr, this should be thicker.
    As for carrying the SLR with the butt outside the shoulder, well i did two tours in northern ireland one for 12 months and one for four with 2nd battalion RRF, i can tell you that if you were on foot patrol for five hours unless the RSM was on patrol with you then the butt was laying across the forearm, if you had a long butt;),( there were four sizes and an extra small arctic one )then the butt is going to be outside your elbow ( i`m talking plastic furniture here not the wooden stuff), incorrect carry, the belfast lean
    and cowboy slung 58 belts were the norm as were tailored lightweights and combat trousers, this was the 80`s and sewn in creases and skin tight trousers were normal.
    heres some pics.

Cromwell_2.jpg I think this is a reenactor:rolleyes:
    original bust
    nifront.jpg
    me with drain pipe lightweights
    DSCF6939.JPG
    Gellso and Helm like this.
  15. baronband Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Moz, i bet your RSM didn't see those boots of yours did he?:D
  16. moz A Fixture

England
    They were my best pair!
    heres another pic of an improper carry in Northern ireland, its a Royal Marine so you would expect as much ;)
    7_20_16_416.jpg
    and a driver i think, dirty pig!
    View attachment 120655 206ifb9.jpg
    and very naughty a magazine carry
    DERRY-1970S-BRITISH-SOLDIERS-ON-PATROL-LONDONDERRY-NORTHERN-IRELAND-120709034.jpg
    Helm likes this.
  17. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Cheeky git Moz :)
    You knew I would be looking :)
    Great pic and thanks for showing, I asked when I saw you if you had any during your past career.
    I remember getting measured for my first butt at deal :-0
    Best wishes mate
  18. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Gra
    Thanks mate, I'll take a look at those issues, must admit though I think I'm coming to the end of my endurance on this one now;)

Moz,
    Thanks for your input on this, it's put a few issues to rest with regards to carrying the SLR, also the arms were only blue tacked together so I must admit they were not properly located which more then likely made things look a bit odd.
    Cheers
    Jim
  19. moz A Fixture

England
    Just cus i couldn`t resist,
    this is me with a small butt!Trying to get as much metal as i could from an SLR without it being missed so i could weigh it in for scrap.
    DSCF6942.jpg
    Gellso, Grod, Funky50 and 3 others like this.
  20. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    I guess to me, the position of the arms is relative to the context of whats happening. If walking casually or standing, and trying to hold the rifle in whats most comfortable when tired, I would guess anything goes that you can get away with. But this fig, being in a kneeling position and looking around the corner of a wall, strikes me as being in a more immediate threat situation and should look more ready for action. Bringing the rifle up to the shoulder fits with that I think.
    And damn, talk about form hugging pants. I was in the USMC in the 80's and early 90's, and can't imagine having to walk around in those form fitters!
    Jimbo likes this.