1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

British Soldier Northern Ireland 1980-ish

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Jimbo, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    This a commission that I've been working on for Gordon Mitchell of Mitches Military Models,
    It's a conversion to a full 200mm figure of Maurice Corry's superb Northern Ireland British soldier 1980-ish, I found this a real difficult pose to try and pull off, if indeed I have done? So I'll be very interested in what anyone thinks of it, parts of it are just stuck together with blue tak (hence a few odd angles of some parts) I basically filled in his back and added from the belt-line down, all work done in millput & magi-sculpt with some duro for the boot laces, as per normal apologies for the c**p photos,
    I'm not too sure if I have got the look of the back of the flak jacket right, I think it's a bit too long now?
    I've also added a street base of part wall & pavement, also I have added three different cap badges to the tam o shanter..The Royal scots, The Gordon Highlanders, The Black Watch with heckle (as per photos) and a morden day beret with the Light Infantry cap badge, a Glengarry with the A&S Highlanders will also be added for the choice of regiments
    All comments very welcome.
    Cheers
    Jim

Attached Files:

sd0324, Mike S. and NickM like this.
  2. JonP PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Jim

that looks pretty good. I do think the bottom of the trousers could be a bit 'baggier' as they weren't tucked into the top of the boots but tucked into 'bungees' which allowed a bit more freedom so they wouldn't pull tight when kneeling or crouching. Otherwise I think you've caught the feel of the subject very well.[IMG]
  3. Helm A Fixture

England
    I think you are right re the flak jacket Jim it does look a bit long from what I recall I don't think they were more than waist length but it is some 30 years ago :unsure:

Steve
  4. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Yes I agree there Steve, I've now made it shorter to waist level, thanks for your input mate,appreciate it
    Cheers
    Jim.
  5. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks for the input Jon, I have sculpted it so the trousers are not tucked into the boot-tops, these are not good photos to do the figure justice but I'll have another a look at the trouser bottoms & see if I can add a bit more to them, much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Jim
    I'll get there in the end!(y)
  6. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    If its possible, you might want to consider (if you are going to have him looking around the corner of a wall) to have him leaning up against it to his left a bit. Its human nature to support your weight on something in that situation and get closer to the wall for better cover. Also, and I know you said some of the angles were odd, but I would rotate the rifle back towards his body and raise the butt end toward his shoulder a little more. I have always felt that showing the butt of a rifle outside the plane of the arm makes it look like its being dropped or flipped to the ground. Having handled many military style weapons, it just looks unnatural and odd to me. Just a personal preference.
    Gellso likes this.
  7. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Jason, all info is useful for me on this one, I'll have a good think about the points you've picked up on here.
    Cheers
    Jim
  8. Helm A Fixture

England
    Having looked again the stock of the SLR looks a little skinny Jim might want to thicken the "waist" of it but it might be the pic angle

Steve
    [IMG]
    Gellso likes this.
  9. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks a good start and a brilliant idea. I did notice on the original bust of this I felt the left arm was a wee bit in an unnatural pose to begin with so I'd straighten this a wee bit.

I have also handled many military style weapons....namely guns,:) including the SLR and I'd agree with my good friend JasonB regarding the SLR coming into the shoulder.

I think I would also tilt his head back a wee bit so he doesn't look so stiff. I personally treid this pose and found that I naturally straightened my view after a certain angle as it was more comfy for the eyes to focus..try it.;)

Having said all that, this is far far better than I could ever hope to achieve and he still looks great.
    Following with great interest.

Gells
    JasonB likes this.
  10. baronband Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Great idea this Jim, i have to agree with some of the others especially if he is on patrol and looking around that next corner before moving, the SLR would be up and tight into the shoulder.
  11. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Oh, and thanks for asking for input while theres still time for additions and corrections, and not after the fact. The more of that the better IMHO.
  12. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Now that's what i call a weapon,fond memories.
    Brian
    sd0324, 1969, Funky50 and 1 other person like this.
  13. baronband Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    The Rhino stopper! What you hit stays down..even our special forces are going back to 7.62 now
  14. Helm A Fixture

England
    Yeah I liked the SLR you knew if you hit somebody with it their afternoon was totally ruined and they wouldn't be out to play again for a while.

Steve
  15. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The only weapon I used that I could actually hit things with. It was always a hoot to see the new guys with black eyes, pudding lips and cut cheeks when they first fired this bad boy.
    I found I was more accurate with the SA80 if I physically threw it down the range, even with the SUSAT!:yuck:

Gells
  16. baronband Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    I remember joining the Army cadets and the first weapon i fired as a kid was the no4 Lee Enfield, after firing the first round and then stemming the blood pouring from my mouth a smiling instructor told be to be sure to fire it right handed next time!
  17. Nap Moderator

England
    Jimbo ,

I know from seeing this progress how much work has gone into this and a lot of sweat and swearing !!!!

Good points raised by the guys regarding the weapon and its position to the shoulder/head ....

I like the option of the heads as well , possibly the hackle on the BW is a little too tall

Another one nearly done mate ...rest !!!!!

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  18. martin tabony Well-Known Member

United-States
    Apparently there's a facebook page of people collecting British gear from the late 70s early 80's. There might be some reference ther. I've not seen it but was told it was called "soldier80" (perhaps "eighty").

Martin
  19. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks guys for all your input, all much appreciated, but I must say the top half of the figure is all a Maurice Corry sculpt including the SLR, this was all the original bust, I'm only adding from the waist down for Gordon but I will look at the arm positions today if I get chance to see if it's possible to alter them without screwing it all up, but I must also add that the arms are only held in place with blue tack at the moment and the left arm can swing forward a bit more allowing the stock of the SLR to come in a bit tighter to the crook of his right arm, anyway all good comments thanks chaps.(y)
    Cheers
    Jim
  20. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Jimbo,
    I've had another wee look at this fella and I think i've spotted what makes the left arm look unatural. When I carried the slr I think it's more natural for the pistol grip of the weapon to be in line with near the middle of the torso than the angle it is now, bringing it in a wee bit would push the left arm out a bit. Also the grip of the left hand on the rifle would be quite uncomfortable at the angle it's at. I think if you were able to open the fingers a bit more as shown in the attached photo it would look more natural. For me the left wrist is too straight. I know it was Maurice who sculpted it and the reason I didn't buy the bust because of that left arm.

Having said that my sculpting skills are absolute zero so I still appreciate what you guys do and the time, patience and skill that goes into your work.

Gells

Attached Files:

• slr.jpg
      slr.jpg
      File size:
      89.3 KB
      Views: