1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique British para Arnhem 1944 - Verlinden - 120mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ferris, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Ferris A Fixture

Hi guys,

Before finishing the figure I was working on I started on a new one, triggered by the 70th commemoration of the battle of Arnhem. It's an old Verlinden figure in its 120mm scale that I am building and painting for a friend.

I do not know who sculpted it, but the figure is excellent in some areas and very clumsy in others. Most importantly, the pose is akward, with the head tilted upwards and the body in an unbalanced position. Details of the denison smock are very nice however, but unfortunately not entirely correct: the post-war cuffs stand out.

So the first thing was to try and correct the sculpt. Here's what I did:
    - filed a wedge off the lower body so that upper body tilts slightly forward. Corrected folds with Milliput.
    - moved the right boot 4mm inward, to place it more centrally under the body for balance. Corrected lower part of trousers with Milliput
    - changed head position: neck tilted forward, with a turn to the right to add interest. Added scarf of camo netting.
    - corrected cuffs in line with 2nd pattern denison smock (not finished in pictures)
    - added seam lines.
    - removed odd folds at the right front knee.

I intended to do minimal work, but one thing led to another, as always..! :)
    Anyway, I'm happier with the pose now.

Next was the groundwork. In this case I decided on urban rubble. It fits with many contemporary pics, and seemed fun to do. It also helped to hide the slightly awkward tilt in the boots.
    Brickwork was done with cork and wall filler. Really a fun job!

Now need to finish the cuffs and then it's on to painting. Looking forward to that.
    Oh, and of course to finishing the SS figure I was working on....

Cheers,
    Adrian

Attached Files:

Eludia, pmfs and gendegaia like this.
  2. Ferris A Fixture

Pictures

Attached Files:

3. Ferris A Fixture

And one more....

Attached Files:

Joe55, NickM, Martin64 and 1 other person like this.
  4. gendegaia Active Member

Chile
    Very nice so far my friend. Following your work!
  5. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Nie rubble. Following.

Cheers,
    Pedro.
  6. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks good so far Adrian (y)

Cheers,
    Billy :)
  7. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Nice work Adrian, love the rubble idea and may use it for a vignette i'm thing of.

regardsZane
  8. Ferris A Fixture

Thank you Orlando, Billy, Pedro , Martin and Zane.

I hope to post some actual figure painting soon.

Cheers
    Adrian
  9. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent bit of groundwork Adrian.(y)
  10. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    What a classic, but what you are doing with it is going to give it a whole new lease in life. Looking forward to the paint job
    Ben
  11. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    I'm looking forward to seeing this Para done up Adrian, as your brushwork is exceptional (y)!

Joe
  12. swralph A Fixture