1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

British officer's uniform during the WW1. Help, please!

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by fmenardi, Oct 17, 2013.

1. fmenardi Active Member

Brazil
    Hello!
    Please, could you tell me which are the differences between the tunics in the pics 1 and 2?
    Just the piping colour and/or the absence of the rank insignias in the tunics sleeves?
    Any help is welcome.
    Thank you in advance,
    Fabrício

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      333.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      79.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Tony Barton Active Member

United-States
    Dear Fabricio,
    In the 1st picture, the officers have their rank stars on their shoulder straps : this was done to make them less visible to snipers .It became official policy in many Regiments by 1915, though not followed by all officers .
    In the second, they have the original arrangement , where the rank stars are on the cuffs , surrounded by pale khaki lace .
    Both arrangements were used until the end of the war.
    Some officers wore soldiers tunics and equipment when in the frontline , for the same reason, to make them less conspicuous, since the shape of the officers' uniform was different.
    In the second picture also, you will see that some officers have small badges on their collars : this was normal in most regiments, though not all . The pattern of badge was different for each regiment.
    In the first picture there are none.
    The black officer in the first picture is Walter Tull, who is thought to have been the first black officer in the Brtish Army. He was a famous footballer, and served in the 17th battalion of the Middlesex regiment.
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Some examples...

3 photos of 6th Kings Liverpool Rifles officer uniform

1 photo of a West Ridings officer from 1914

3 photos of an officer in the Wiltshire Rgt - the two service coats are from different years during the war

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

4. Tony Barton Active Member

United-States
    As Dan's useful pics show, there was quite a lot of variation in insignia on officers tunics. Officers bought their own uniforms, from a designated Regimental tailor, so they vary somewhat from regiment to regiment.
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I didn't have time to send more earlier. These photos are all from a GWF post several years ago. The uniforms are those of Capt Bert Odell, MC of the 15th Scottish. I think the 1918 version is probably post-war.

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

6. fmenardi Active Member

Brazil
    Hello, guys!
    Thank you very much for the info and pics. Now, I have elements to painting my Tommy's War figure appropriately.
    All the best,
    Fabrício