1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

British Officer 1815 by Andrea finally finished.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Kisifer, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Hello all, I finally found the spare time to finish almost 100% my project. It took long time, but the spare time that i had was really limited. So here it is. The ground work will be the final touch that it's currently missing.Any comments are welcomed.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    One item you may consider, Xenophon.

The paint and work bench stuff tends to be a bit distracting for me. You can slip white card board (or even white paper) under your figure to act as a back ground.
    It's easy and helps focus the viewer on your figure rather than all the stuff on your bench.

You have done very well with this figure. :) What is next for you?

Keith
  3. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    No worries about the time it takes to finish a figure. There are several of us here on pF who could compete for World's Slowest Painter! I'd be a top contender!

Your painting looks good. You certainly know where to place the highlights and shadows (I particularly like the tone of the red). What kind of paint are you using?
  4. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Thanks for your comments Keith. To be honest i didn't think at all to place something behind the figure in order to cover the stuff of my bench. I will do that to my next presentation for sure. Next project?? I will prolly do a little dio by Andrea again, the Duellists.

Steven thanks a lot for your encouragment my friend. For this figure i used exclusively oils and i will prolly stick with those :) Undercoating with enamels... and oils for the main painting.
  5. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    Nice, a fellow oil painter! Are you blocking in the highlights and shadows or painting "wet on wet"? I started several years ago by blocking in the colors but found on small figures it was easier to manage the paint using WoW.

Are you fairly new to painting figures? I know a lot of guys sometimes come to this hobby from building aircraft or armor.

BTW, that Andrea figure has always been on my "to buy" list. It's really nice.
  6. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Steven: My technique for the oils is a bit complicated the way i do it.. and i really think that i will change it in the next project. What i do is applying all the shadows first, then the lights where appropriate and all the left overs with the main mix... i blend and then i add more lights for a better contrast. I used to paint figures like 7 years ago... but i stopped due to studies..and now here i am again.
    Regarding my technique.. i will prolly change it.. by applying everywhere the deeper color, brush off the areas.. and then WoW lighting according to the areas.
    What's your technique with oils?
  7. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    When I started I used a techique similar to yours, where I painted in each color separately and then blended them. But now I paint wet-on-wet, where I apply the middle value to the entire area, following Shep Paines mantra to "spread it out, don't thin it out." (I never use any thinning until I'm cleaning my brushes.) Then I apply my highlights and blend. Then I apply my shadows and blend. The key, in my experience, is to prevent the highlight colors from touching the shadow colors; if they mingle, the result will be an ugly, muddy color. So this requires using separate brushes to blend the highlights/base and the shadows/base.

Hope this helps. I hope to post photos of some of my recent work to my v-bench this weekend.